lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Radio Problem

I am not going to tell you not to install a reducer. Lots do but for me it was more than I wanted to deal with. I was afraid one of my kids might leave it on somehow and I would come back to a burned down cart. I went with the dedicated 12v accessory battery and I run my lights and stereo off of it and they will run longer than a single charge will let me ride the cart. When I first got my cart, I wired lights and then later the radio to one of my 4 12v pack batteries. Every time the pack would get the least bit weak, my lights would go dim and/or my radio would cut off when I hit the accel pedal. In addition to that, they were putting that battery under extra load and causing it to be always weaker than the others. That meant every time I charged the cart, that battery had to charge longer than the rest really needed to.

Whichever way you go, cutting the voltage to 12v should help the radio and if everything is wired and shielded properly, you shouldn't have noise, though it is notoriously tough to get good radio reception on a cart. Mine is used primarily for playing iTunes or pandora from an iPhone.

As for charging the extra battery, well, you have to charge batteries already, what's the big deal with plugging in another charger at the same time? I have a quick connector hooked to my extra battery and keep my other charger right beside my cart charger. I just plug them both in at the same time.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #22
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEThompson View Post
Are you saying watch where I mount the volt reducer?
Mainly the wiring to the radio, keep it away from the motor. The motor will cause interfernce with the radio. I had to move mine away from the motor to cure the same problem. They also sell, I believe they are called FM filters, helps with all of the noise on the wires.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
JEThompson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I put a noise filter on, but that did not help much. I ordered a volt reducer, and will put it on this Thursday. Do i need to run a seperate switch to turn on the volt reducer?
JEThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I put a noise filter on, but that did not help much. I ordered a volt reducer, and will put it on this Thursday. Do i need to run a seperate switch to turn on the volt reducer?
2 ways to do it depends on the reducer. If the reducer has a trigger wire be sure to use it per instruction. If the one you buy is only a 3 wire reducer, be sure to put in a toggle or some kind of interuption, so you don't burn it up from being on the whole time without needing it. I use a toggle for mine, when I go camping I turn the toggle on and leave it on the whole time I am gone then when I get home and I don't use the cart as much I turn it off.

I will be in your neck of the woods in June for my 20 year reunion in Daphne.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #25
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The reason has to do with current draw. This why the kids that want a very loud radio in the car use an amplifier and special electrical components. One of the most common components is a HUGE capacitor. This allows for tremendous current to be drawn by the amplifier when a very heavy bass note comes along. Now, the trick is to use this large capacitor and a 10amp or greater diode. Run a 16awg wire and 1K 50 watt resistor from the positive you are using in the battery bank, to the end of the diode that does not have a stripe. Diodes are marked with a band.
Then hook the end of the diode that has a band to the + terminal of a one farad capacitor. ground the - of the capacitor. Run from the + of the capacitor to input of the radio. Guaranteed fix. What will actually be happening, is that the capacitor will charge when connected. The diode will prevent the stored energy in the capacitor from flowing back to the cart. The diode will also give you .7 volts voltage drop.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
speedgolfer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

when my voltage regulator went out on the Pontoon the voltage was about 17 volts the radio did not burn out but did go goofy like you are explaining
try 12 volts before you do anything else
speedgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #27
JEThompson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My reducer has two black wires, a red and a yellow. There is nothing in the instructions that says anything about a trigger wire. So do i hook it up per instructions or put a switch in to control power to the reducer?
JEThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
My reducer has two black wires, a red and a yellow. There is nothing in the instructions that says anything about a trigger wire. So do i hook it up per instructions or put a switch in to control power to the reducer?
When I say trigger wire, it would be a seperate wire you would wire to your switch to turn it off and on. I personly would hook it up to a switch.

Wondering why you have 2 black wires.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Red goes to +16, 1 black to most negative battery, 1 black to radio ground, yellow is the +12 output. Remember. The frame is not ground. Put switch on red wire, therefore you will not drain the batteries running the reducer.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car