lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
Caneiac
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Repair after accident !! Need advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxmuro View Post
I kinda thought the same as you, have you read the post? it is the first one.
I read it, there are several different threads on this forum about it. There is a video of a cart burning due to the watering system failure, or so they say. I tend to believe there was other factors involved. Who knows, everyone has an opinion.
Caneiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #32
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Course's use them to prevent inattentive workers from neglecting
proper maintenance.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #33
rib33024

You all can believe what you want to about the watering systems, but take a look for your self's. There is only one reason that all these batteries blew at the same time

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html

And you may not be a sparky guy DOOms but you nailed it about adding new electrolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
I am not a sparky but I think the guys are wrong? I would replace the electrolyte that was lost to spillage with new electrolyte. It is true that normally all you add is water how ever in a spil i think you need acid???????????????

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
You all can believe what you want to about the watering systems, but take a look for your self's. There is only one reason that all these batteries blew at the same time
Is that because they are all hooked together electrically and had the same load put on them at the same time, maybe even a dead short that would do it on any cart.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #35
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Is that because they are all hooked together electrically and had the same load put on them at the same time, maybe even a dead short that would do it on any cart.
The electrical issue is limited to whatever caused the spark that started the event.
The reason more than one exploded was because the flame front of the first explosion traveled though the watering system that connected all of them together.

Here is a picture of what appears to be a well maintained battery pack that had also had a chain-fire incident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-1.jpg (79.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #36
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Rib and Johnnie nailed it with the dangers of the watering system, as did DOOms with the reason manufacturers still use them.

The reason they're dangerous, as I failed to explain in my first post, is that the vented Hydrogen gas from the tops of the batteries travels through the tubing. An internal short, an external spark, or as I've read a few times, high heat, will cause the hydrogen gas at the source of the spark to ignite. The explosion then follows through the tubing and ignites ALL the Hydrogen gas vented from ALL the batteries. On a cart with no water fill tubing, the chances the explosion would stay isolated to one battery are MUCH higher. Granted, an explosion such as I'm talking about or that you see in the pics and thread above isnt too likely to happen, but do you really want to be sitting on top of 6 acid filled bombs with the fuses tied together and just hope they don't go off?
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car