lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
utjmac
Not Yet Wild

Default Using VRLA Batteries in my Precedent?

So, I've got a 2008 CC Precedent, and the batteries are toast.

I've got the battery tray that will allow me to go from my current 12v x 4 Trojan batteries, to the 6 x 8v setup with no modification. I intended to go that route until I visited my local hole in the wall battery supplier.

He buys by the palletful, batteries that come out of govt power backup installations. He indicated, they are used for 8 months, then get proactively swapped out. The shop will offer a 1 yr warranty on them, but these type of batteries are intended to survive in their application for 10yr. They are $300-400 when new, but these guys are selling them for $100 each. They are sealed, so no water topping off. Dimensionally, they are a bit larger, but I believe I've got the room to fit them. This is what this shop installed in many golf carts, boats, whatever they can put them in, and says they are phenomenal batteries.

Mechanically, I'm great, but electrical is my downfall.
http://www.seed-asia.comwww.seed-asi...e=BAT04FXA.pdf

Here one of the many specs sheets listed online. These are made by Eaton, very reputable manufacturer. Can anyone evaluate the spec sheet and tell me how they'd compare to the Trojan Equivalent? Would I be able to utilize my power drive 3 charger, just like any other battery?

Thanks in advance for your opinion. I have learned a lot reading these forums and hope to contribute as I build this cart up. I have some interesting mechanical projects planned! Happy carting!

John
utjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Using VRLA Batteries in my Precedent?

Never mind

Last edited by jjance; 08-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Checked Wiki
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
utjmac
Not Yet Wild

While I agree there is a good bit of salesmanship, he wasn't trying to pressure a sale, just telling me what they use, have used and offered a 1 year warranty on them. These are sealed batteries, normally 2-3x the conventional flooded lead acid battery, and would not normally be considered to put in a cart due to the normal retail price.

I would think in a backup type situation, these would be considered deep cycle. How they are marketed though, is people buying these for large solar, UPS, or emergency battery capacity, not to be put on a shelf at the local retailer.

I prefer to just compare based on specification, not on salesman talk. I'm hoping I've found a honey hole that allows me to buy a sealed battery cheaper than my other option. I can always hope! Any of you electrical gurus care to peruse the spec sheet? These are 100 lbs a piece, a lot of lead plate!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

After I read the Wiki article I deleted my post. It seems to me they should work Ok. Sorry about my rush to judgement. At 100lbs apiece will there be room. They look taller than an ordinary battery.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
utjmac
Not Yet Wild

They are slightly larger dimensionally, but I believe there is room. The 4 12s seem to have room to spare as is, and use screw in cable connections, so that may help the clearance slightly. No worries - I appreciate any and all feedback and if it works, may open up another option on the secondary market for battery replacements.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
utjmac
Not Yet Wild

Anyone able to look at the spec sheet? I'm unsure how to interpret the data versus a comparable Trojan.

Thank you in advance for the feedback!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

One other thought ut. I would check and double check if your CC charger can be used with those batteries. The reason I say that is because they are sealed batteries. The cost for a new charger might outweigh any savings you get with the batteries.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Eaton is a world leader in Industrial electrical parts, we use them for many years, you may also know them as cutler hammer ans several other companies they own.
That said this is a purpose built battery, these are Asian made looks like, not sure if it will work for your application. Also like mentioned charging, $400 on a shot that they will work. IMO why, just buy the 6 8v batteries and be done with it lol. Did this guy say he uses them in carts?
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

double post
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The charging rates look ok but I am not a battery guy so not sure about the discharge rates. If they were $50 I'd say go for it but at $100 I dunno..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car