lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New battery cables?

My cart is a 1997 EZGO http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/intro...addiction.html and I think it has the original wiring. It’s not horrible but not perfect. I want to know if I could REALLY see a difference with updating the wires. It’s a 36v system and is topping out at 19mph stripped down. I haven’t put the seats, canopy, or back seats back on yet.

Thanks in advance for the help!
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New battery cables?

Anyone? I'm worried that adding the extra load in bodies, canopy, front and rear seats will slow my speed down even further.

I just bought new batteries so I'm not looking to upgrade to 48v on this one. I don't need a speed demon...just don't want a slug either.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is it a Series drive or DCS? (A DCS will have a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover)

What size tires are on it?

-------------
Rolling resistance is directly proportional to weight, so it will slow some when the body and rear seat are installed.

As for the cables, if they are original, they are likely to be 6Ga and they should be a minimum of 4Ga. (Lower Gauge numbers are thicker and have less resistance, so less energy is lost between batteries and motor)

-----------
If it is a series drive, with the body on, top speed at 36V will be about 14 MPH with stock height tires (18"), but in the pictures it appears to have taller than stock tires, so it may be a bit faster than that with the body and seats on.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a Series drive and has 20" or 22" inch tires. I'l have to check tonight.

So with this being stripped down and getting 19mph I'm actually ok? I think I'll bite the bullet and upgrade the cables anyway.

Thanks for responding!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is difficult to tell if 19 MPH for a stripped down series drive cart at 36V is okay or not, since the information I have is with the body on.

The top speed of a completely stock 97 TXT series drive cart is 14MPH, which is roughly 3,250 motor RPM.

With 20" tires, the motor spinning at 3,250 RPM propels the cart at about 15.5 MPH and with 22" tires, it's about 17.1 MPH.

So, is not having the body on giving you from 1.9 to 3.5 MPH? Or does is the motor something other than the standard motor used. (EZGO installed High-Speed and High-Torque motors at the factory, as well as Standard ones)

What is the part number on the motor label?

If you can find your cart's serial number, enter it here: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html
That should tell you what it was when it left the factory.

Replacing the cables is a good idea. Be sure to replace all 13 of them.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll get the details this afternoon and post em.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Serial number is 1065368.

The lookup shows:
Model:TXT

Type:Electric 36 V

Sub Model:TXT with Lights

Year:1997
Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh and I do have 22" tires.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

"with lights" tells me that it has a good chance of being factory equipped with the "AU-2500 HI SPD" instead of the "AU-2500 FLT SPD" 13mph motor. On 36v it typically runs 18mph as setup from ezgo. A decent motor, and responds fairly well on 48v.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
stang99x
Gone Wild

Your getting a solid speed from the cart being an old series 36v. Adding all your parts back on shouldn't cost you much, as the body is pretty light and the top isn't much either. Changing the wires should be a priority. Some people say batteries are the first step in building a solid cart, but I say it's the wires. If you have a new pack with bad wires, you aren't going to get anywhere fast and might even overheat and meltdown your new batteries. You can buy a full set of 4ga wire for that model for $100. That is replacing every battery, motor, controller and solenoid and cam switch wire that carries the power load. You could move up to 2ga for $120 for the set. I find $100 to be cheap considering that burning up one battery post will cost you that much.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO