lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
Kb25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 2FIVE Interlock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The interlock is wired to the charger port, a light blue wire in the main harness that runs to pin 11 of the 35 pin controller connector. It does not run to the Accessory harness, which is where the 10 pin connector you are dealing with is located.

The 2Five onboard charger/converter contains more than just a charger, it also contains the 12V DC-DC converter that powers the vehicles 12V loads. With the stock 12V loads, the 12V current draw is within the 18 Amp rating of that connector. However, if someone adds too much 12V accessory load to the Accessory harness wiring, the connector will overheat and be damaged. Just replacing the connectors will not solve the problem. You must treat the cause of the problem, or the new connectors will fail as well. I have a brand new 2016 2Five harness set here and it appears that the badly burned pin on your connector is one of the two black battery ground wires. On is for charging the battery, the other is the ground for your 12V electrical system. That seems to be your burned connector. The black and white pair are to the remote LED. If you need to, you might be able to reduce 12V load by swapping headlights and tail lights for the new LED ones. Here is a wiring diagram of that 10 pin charger plug.

Bob
Thanks for the info and the schematics!

The burnt pin is a red wire (pin 1). I'm pretty sure this particular connector is the output towards the battery because it only gets hot during charging. I think the other connector below it is for the 12v accessories.

I was able to clean up the burnt male pin with a small file. I think it looks OK. I just need to replace the female connector on the harness.

Does anyone know where I can buy the female connector, or do I need to buy a whole new harness (they are not cheap!)?

Thanks again for all the help.

Kb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2017, 01:41 AM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb25 View Post
Thanks for the info and the schematics!

The burnt pin is a red wire (pin 1). I'm pretty sure this particular connector is the output towards the battery because it only gets hot during charging. I think the other connector below it is for the 12v accessories.

I was able to clean up the burnt male pin with a small file. I think it looks OK. I just need to replace the female connector on the harness.

Does anyone know where I can buy the female connector, or do I need to buy a whole new harness (they are not cheap!)?

Thanks again for all the help.

Ok, I was looking at the plug from the wrong side, pins swapped end to end then. Mine does not have markings on it by the holes like yours does. I saved the image you posted to my desktop 2 times and when I tried to open it to enlarge it to read those markings, it kept showing as it was either a corrupted file or too large to open.

I think you can get the connector and pins from Newark Electronics, look at the TE Connectivity connectors and pay close attention to the key locations. Those are the tabs on the socket and the slots for those tabs on the plug. Once you find the right keyed plug, look at the associated parts numbers for the socket and female terminals part numbers.

I don't have my 2Five anymore. It was not what I was wanting. I only bought it to fix it for the dealership and sold it back to them when I was finished. The harnesses I kept were pulled from the 2Five assembly line in 2016. I kept them because the original harnesses were fine despite E-Z-GO insisting they were bad. It turned out to be a defective new factory controller. I plan to use them in a new build I'm still gathering parts for.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #13
Kb25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Ok, I was looking at the plug from the wrong side, pins swapped end to end then. Mine does not have markings on it by the holes like yours does. I saved the image you posted to my desktop 2 times and when I tried to open it to enlarge it to read those markings, it kept showing as it was either a corrupted file or too large to open.

I think you can get the connector and pins from Newark Electronics, look at the TE Connectivity connectors and pay close attention to the key locations. Those are the tabs on the socket and the slots for those tabs on the plug. Once you find the right keyed plug, look at the associated parts numbers for the socket and female terminals part numbers.

I don't have my 2Five anymore. It was not what I was wanting. I only bought it to fix it for the dealership and sold it back to them when I was finished. The harnesses I kept were pulled from the 2Five assembly line in 2016. I kept them because the original harnesses were fine despite E-Z-GO insisting they were bad. It turned out to be a defective new factory controller. I plan to use them in a new build I'm still gathering parts for.

Bob
Bob, thanks for your help. I just spent the last hour on the Newark Electronics site but cant find the connector. (there are thousands of them). Do you have any more information about them? A part number or category perhaps?
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
Kb25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After a lot of research, I finally got the exact specs on the connector. A very helpful technician at Delta-Q sent me a PDF. I ordered the parts and tools from DigiKey.

Connector: Molex MX150L part number 194180013 (Digikey Part number WM9834-ND)
Pins: 14-16 AWG Molex part number 0194200001 (Digikey Part number WM7029CT-ND)
Crimp tool: Molex 0640160035 (Digikey WM17483-ND)
Insertion tool: Molex 0638131500 (Digikey WM17434-ND)

Total cost was about $100 (mainly due to the tools - I also ordered a spare connector). Still much cheaper than a new harness (~$500). Hopefuly my charger doesn't need to be replaced.

I will report back on the outcome. Thanks again for everyones's help

Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Good to hear you found it. I did not look it up. E-Z-GO and Curtis uses a lot of TE Connectivity and other Molex connectors, usually within the automotive family. Good work!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
Kb25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I finally solved all my charger problems so I wanted to report back with my findings. The parts and tools mentioned above worked perfectly to replace the burnt 10 pin connector on my harness.

The next problem was that the cart sometimes did not move after a long charging session. After a lot of troubleshooting, I discovered that the interlock relay inside the charger was not disengaging when it was hot. Normally, there is 48 volts on pin 4 (on the charger 10-pin connector) (even with key off). When 110V power cable is plugged into charger, the relay (inside charger) opens and PIN 4 goes to 0. This disables the cart. When the relay was hot, it stayed at 0 even with the cable was disconnected. This caused the controller to think the charging cable was still connected, disabling the cart. The interlock pin on the controller side is pin 11 (light blue wire on 35 pin connector)

I decided to send the charger in to be repaired by Flight Systems Industrial Products (http://fsip.biz/). The replaced the relay and the male burnt 10 pin connector. It cost about $280, but everything works now! FSIP was great to deal with and turn-around was about 3 days.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the update. Give yourself a pat on the back (and beer) for a good diagnostic job and repair
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #18
Kb25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
Thanks for the update. Give yourself a pat on the back (and beer) for a good diagnostic job and repair
Thanks. I noticed that you have a 2017 2FIVE. I believe you have an updated charger with more robust connectors. The older 10 pin connector is not a very good design. The pins and wires seem too thin for the amperage.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks. I noticed that you have a 2017 2FIVE. I believe you have an updated charger with more robust connectors. The older 10 pin connector is not a very good design. The pins and wires seem too thin for the amperage.
I think that change was made in 2014. My 2015 2Five had the improved onboard charger connection. The dealer had kept the onboard charger so I had to rig up an RXV charge port to use during my limited ownership of that 2Five. After I fixed it, I sold it back to the dealer for what I paid plus my costs to fix it. I had no real intention of keeping it, as it was not what I was looking for. Due to my contract with Curtis at the time, I was prohibited from working on it for E-Z-GO. I had to legally own it before I could work on it. It was a pleasant experience. I ended up with some 'unobtainium' from that deal. Parts from the factory assembly line that are not yet available for purchase.

Bob
Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Good. I didn't know. I was told that there was a solenoid upgrade on the 2017 2Five but I don't know what that is, or if it's true. Maybe Bob knows?

I'm eager for the winter weather to break here in NJ, I only have 90 miles on my 2Five. Really like it so far.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO