lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Monroe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 EZGO TXT Series not holding charge under load

I have a 2001 EZGO TXT Series 36V cart that I replaced both the motor and 6 pack of Trojan batteries 5 months ago. The cart performed great as it should for a while, but within the past two weeks it seems to no longer hold a charge for long at all, draining quickly under load. I recharge the batteries every night and they recharge fine, have tested with meter. But now I can only go about 30-60 minutes before it starts to lose power quickly. The connections are all clean and tight and the water level is correct in all. I have an analog dial battery meter on the dash and it will show full charge without foot on the pedal, and only a lower lever under load when first run. After 30 minutes or so of use, the meter will still show close to full charge under no load but almost nothing with full pedal. What could be happening to cause this all of a sudden? Solenoid? Speed controller? Pedal controller under the floor? None of these items have been changed and are original to 2001. Any suggestions anyone??
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO TXT Series not holding charge under load

First, what is the pack and individual voltage of each battery, 12 hours after a full charge and disconnecting the charger. Assuming all check out OK...

Connect a DVM (volt meter) to one battery then see what it drops to while driving. Do the same for the remaining batteries.

You may have one bad cell (battery), and it's good to catch while under warranty.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you don't have a DVM, they can be bought for $10 - $15 almost anywhere, from Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, Ace, Amazon, etc.

May also be referred to as DMM (digital multi meter). I'm old school, so I'm used to analog VOM (volt ohm milliammeter)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
Monroe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I've tested the batteries several times over the last few days both after full charges and when it starts to die and have found that I have two batteries WAY underperforming. The four good ones hit around 6.45V after full charge and down to 6.30V when the cart starts to die after 30-45 minutes of use. The two bad batteries however only achieve around 6.10V when the charger quits showing full pack charge and drop all the way to 5.76V and 5.85V when the cart starts to die. Since these Trojans are all only a few months old I will be taking the two bad ones back to the dealer for possible warranty coverage.
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Well I've tested the batteries several times over the last few days both after full charges and when it starts to die and have found that I have two batteries WAY underperforming. The four good ones hit around 6.45V after full charge and down to 6.30V when the cart starts to die after 30-45 minutes of use. The two bad batteries however only achieve around 6.10V when the charger quits showing full pack charge and drop all the way to 5.76V and 5.85V when the cart starts to die. Since these Trojans are all only a few months old I will be taking the two bad ones back to the dealer for possible warranty coverage.
replace those batteries and you should be good as gold!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO