lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up 99 ezgo txt slow speed and slower going up hills

1999 ezgo txt 36v 4 inch lift 22x1100x10 tires

I received this cart because the gentelmen updraded to a gas operated one, had been sitting for 5 years. Batteries were shot, charger wouldnt work anymore. Got new batteries and repaired charger.
A rat had chewed a few wires into wasnt to hard to identify where each end went due to color of wires. Fixed those and replaced a few bad cables cleaned all terminals and cable ends and installed batteries.
Turned key on placed it in forward and off we went, I noticed right away cart was to "peppy" and slower then I thought, climbed a small incline and it slowed down even slower. Started checking some things.
Here goes what I know:
1)With batteries all connected and cart against wood block to create a small load, all batteries were holding above 5.9 volts individually.
2) connected volt meter to b+ and b- on top of controller with slight load applied and was above 36 volts
3) connected volt meter to b+ and m- on top of controller with slight load applied and was getting 14-15 volts(this if my first cart but I talked to a gentelmen and he said that wasn't correct should be above 36volts as well
4) he had a known good controller with all correct specs and still does same thing
5) there was no loaded resistor or diode on solenoid at all when I recieved from original owner, I purchased those and installed on solenoid
6) ohmed out motor terminals between a1 & a2 and s1 & s2 both readings were around 1-1.4 ohms
7) ohmed between terminals a1 to motor body, s1 to motor body and between a1 & s1 and all were OFL

Now I am stuck and don't know what to do next if anyone could help
Jmack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 ezgo txt slow speed and slower going up hills

The cart goes about 12mph when new. May go slower now with many hours (17 yrs) on the motor etc. Slowing on hills is perfectly normal, more noticeable on stock than upgraded carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

Ok I understand all that but the incline was not steep and a turtle could probably go faster then this thing. My issue is far from normal speed or wear and tear. It has no pick up and go whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

are your batts fully charged?
what voltage for the pack-should over 38.
what pack volts under load?
what tire pressure are you running?
low pressure tires eat power through rolling resistance...pressures should be in the range of 20-30 psi...
are any of the wires getting hot after you run it for a while?
f/r switch getting hot?
good luck!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

yes batteries are fully charged
voltage on packs are 37.58 WITH NO LOAD
voltage on packs on flat ground with load 35.3
voltage on packs up slight incline or in soft sand is 34.6
tire pressures are up not low
nothing getting hot
speed is 5-7 mph on goof hard ground
speed is 2-3 in soft sand or slight incline and I mean slight not a hill
Old 02-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

you got a problem-obviously...my 2000 series does 6 up hill that is so steep i can get 40 downhill(stock controller at 36v)-you should be doing 12-14 on flat...
check for brake drag...i wonder if you have a bad brush in the motor,ect...if you lift the rear end-do the tire spin freely?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

yes tires spin freely, i can push it fairly easy, it takes off and runs great when the tires are up lol it makes you wonder if your gonna make it back sometimes or is it gonna stop all together but it keeps chugging along just very slow
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

what are the individual batteries reading-you could have a bad one that is pulling the pack down under load...
my pack is about 39.4 -39.2 , 12 hours after charge-my pack runs higher than most for some reason....
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

with small load applied they are all at or above 5.9 volts

do you know the test I referred to on the controller, its step 2) and 3) in my original post if so does that seem right?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmack14 View Post
1999 ezgo txt 36v 4 inch lift 22x1100x10 tires

I received this cart because the gentelmen updraded to a gas operated one, had been sitting for 5 years. Batteries were shot, charger wouldnt work anymore. Got new batteries and repaired charger.
A rat had chewed a few wires into wasnt to hard to identify where each end went due to color of wires. Fixed those and replaced a few bad cables cleaned all terminals and cable ends and installed batteries.
Turned key on placed it in forward and off we went, I noticed right away cart was to "peppy" and slower then I thought, climbed a small incline and it slowed down even slower. Started checking some things.
Here goes what I know:
1)With batteries all connected and cart against wood block to create a small load, all batteries were holding above 5.9 volts individually.
2) connected volt meter to b+ and b- on top of controller with slight load applied and was above 36 volts
3) connected volt meter to b+ and m- on top of controller with slight load applied and was getting 14-15 volts(this if my first cart but I talked to a gentelmen and he said that wasn't correct should be above 36volts as well
4) he had a known good controller with all correct specs and still does same thing
5) there was no loaded resistor or diode on solenoid at all when I recieved from original owner, I purchased those and installed on solenoid
6) ohmed out motor terminals between a1 & a2 and s1 & s2 both readings were around 1-1.4 ohms
7) ohmed between terminals a1 to motor body, s1 to motor body and between a1 & s1 and all were OFL

Now I am stuck and don't know what to do next if anyone could help
1. Very bad idea to feed amps to a stalled motor. Can damage motor and controller and start fires.
2. Voltage between B- and B+ should be same as battery pack voltage at the time.
3. Voltage between M- and B+ is the percentage of battery pack voltage the throttle is telling the controller to pass to the motor. You said "with slight load", so the pedal is not on floor and having a voltage about 40% of the pack voltage is normal.
4. The controller(s) are good, but might be suitable for the application.
5. The resistor and diode do not effect performance, but need to be installed since the prolong the lifespan of various components.
6. Typical Ohmic values.
7. Those are the desired readings.

All carts slow down going uphill, carts with series motors slow more and carts with tires taller than stock (18") slow even more.

Based on height alone, your 22" tires will mathematically increase the cart speed by 22% at the expense of loosing 18% of the torque available where rubber meets road.

If the cart would do 12 MPH with 18" tall tires, it would theoretically do 14.7 MPH on 22" tall tires, but it won't actually reach that speed due to the torque loss. Might get close to it with 22" road tires, but 11" wide tires probable are not road tires.

I suspect the max inflation pressure stamped on the sidewalls is less than 10 PSI and low pressure tires take more torque to turn, so the loss of torque caused by the increased tire height is further magnified.

A good battery pack will take care of some performance issues, but not all of them.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO