lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 ezgo txt slow speed and slower going up hills

You said you fixed the charger. What was wrong with it? Are you allowing it to charge until it turns off, or did you bypass the relay? If the latter, JohnnyB can tell you the on charge voltage the pack should reach before removing the charger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #22
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You said you fixed the charger. What was wrong with it? Are you allowing it to charge until it turns off, or did you bypass the relay? If the latter, JohnnyB can tell you the on charge voltage the pack should reach before removing the charger.
the capacitor had a big ole whole in it and leaked all its juice out, so I got a new capacitor same everything and works now, to be honest I have not let charger fully charge and shut off by itself reason being is I checked voltage after about 2 hrs of charging and voltage with charger connected was like 42 volts and I disconnected it. never working with 36 v I wasn't sure if that was to high or not. so i am gonna plug it in abd let it run its full course
Jmack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
In an earlier post, you said the no load voltage on the battery pack was 37.58V, so you new batteries are only about 85% charged. (SoC chart attached - What brand batteries do you have? The chart is for Trojan and clones)

The relatively minor voltage difference between batteries only mean the battery pack needs to be equalized. A bad cell is typically about a 2V difference.

Once they have been equalized (IE: 0.1V or less between batteries.) the difference at-rest and under-load ought to be close to the same.

The thing about equalization is that the pack is charged in series, so a mix of batteries with slightly higher voltages and slightly lower voltages don't all end up with the same level of charge if the charger shutoff is based on pack voltage. And the imbalance gets worse as time goes on if not corrected.
they are Trojan and like I was telling yurtle I have been rather scared to leave charger on for too long or so that it will shut off by itself just because I wasn't use to it and when the voltage was at like 42 volts(while charging) after 2 hours I unplugged charger so that would probably explain why my batteries are at 85%

that little difference between the batteries i didn't think was to bad(like a bad cell)

is it possible the ITS is not giving the correct voltage or signal?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd let the charger run until it shuts off. You should go to ScottyB's website carts unlimited, under sponsors, and read everything that has "batteries" in the title. New batteries need to be broken in correctly, in order to get the most out of them.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I did a quick search and found a post that said the charger cuts off at 45 volts.

I upgraded my cart to 48 volts, so don't remember what my 36 charger did.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmack14 View Post
they are Trojan and like I was telling yurtle I have been rather scared to leave charger on for too long or so that it will shut off by itself just because I wasn't use to it and when the voltage was at like 42 volts(while charging) after 2 hours I unplugged charger so that would probably explain why my batteries are at 85%

that little difference between the batteries i didn't think was to bad(like a bad cell)

is it possible the ITS is not giving the correct voltage or signal?
Sounds like you have a ferroresonant transformer type charger. It ought to charge up into the 44V to 46V range before shutting off.

The max on-charge voltage for a 36V pack is a little over 50V. (2.79 VPC - Volts per Cell or 8.37V for a 6V battery)

A new set of batteries ought to be fully charged before first use.
The first charge may take up to 20 hours.

Also, new batteries only have about 75% of their rated storage capacity.
Here is how to break them in: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

While there, read everything with the word battery in the title. Lots of good info.

---------
Yes it is possible the ITS signal isn't reaching 100%. Find the white wire on the 6pin molex connector on top of controller. Measure voltage by inserting test probe into backside of connector.

When pedal is pushed just far enough to make the solenoid click, the voltage should be from 0.45V to 0.53V. Press pedal slowly to the floor and the voltage ought to smoothly increase to at least 1.5V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The Service Manual in the stickies tells how to adjust the ITS plunger. Simply use a drill bit as a feeler gauge. If you need to adjust the plunger, make sure the sleeve that activates the microswitch doesn't turn on too soon.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You can correct the lower battery by doing equalization charging. Just out of curiosity, see if the lower battery is a month or two older than the "good" ones.

Before you drive it again, charge them to 100%. Then follow the break-in procedure.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #29
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

thank you both for all the help on the battery charging and running them down, i am going to charge them tomorrow and i will also test ITS system after they are fully charged, i will be back in a couple days to give an update of my situation
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #30
Jmack14
Not Yet Wild

ok guys I got my batteries charged up and everything on that end is good

on the ITS I checked voltage at white wire on controller and I am getting .02 volts when solenoid clicks and only goes up to maybe .10 volts at full throttle but mostly will go back down to .08 volts. that is way significantly lower then the specs.

just for giggles I checked the voltage on the black wire at the controller and it starts out when the solenoid clicks at 9v and full throttle goes down to 5.3 volts. is that normal or does that even have a spec?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO