lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Anthony dunlop
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger will not cut off

I have just purchased an 36v Ezgo TXT 2005. Batteries seem OK pack voltage reaches 40v. Have used a friends charger with same result. The charge meter always reads fully charged. Have check plug and socket to ensure good connection. There are three wires from socket. pos and neg plus another which goes to meter. Disconnected the third wire this and checked with volt meter, one on neg terminal and it records 40 v when touching chassis i.e. there was current through the wire. Should this wire be connected to the plug with connection on the outside of the receiving terminal? i.e. white/red?
It's a mystery
Anthony dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Charger with not cut off

it is a wire to tell cart the charger is plugged in and not allow it to move

you need to take your voltage reading after 12hr of bring unplugged

Welcome to BGW
Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger with not cut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony dunlop View Post
I have just purchased an 36v Ezgo TXT 2005. Batteries seem OK pack voltage reaches 40v. Have used a friends charger with same result. The charge meter always reads fully charged. Have check plug and socket to ensure good connection. There are three wires from socket. pos and neg plus another which goes to meter. Disconnected the third wire this and checked with volt meter, one on neg terminal and it records 40 v when touching chassis i.e. there was current through the wire. Should this wire be connected to the plug with connection on the outside of the receiving terminal? i.e. white/red?
It's a mystery
If you are saying that 40V is the highest that the 36V battery pack gets while on charge, either the batteries or the charger is bad.

The old ferroresonant transformer type 36V chargers didn't shut off until the on-charge voltage was about 45V and the newer ones don't shut off until the on-charge voltage's rate of change slows to some predetermined rate and the on-charge voltage may go as high as 50V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger will not cut off

Since your friends charger acts the same as yours on your cart, how about trying your charger on your friends cart and see if it cuts off. I just purchased a new set of batteries and I thought the charger was not going to cut off but it did sometime last night or eary this morning. Original Trojans 105 lasted 7 years and they were still limping along. Replaced with same.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
. I just purchased a new set of batteries and I thought the charger was not going to cut off but it did sometime last night or eary this morning. .
the first charge can take up to 20 hrs
Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Dude007
Not Yet Wild

I have a new digital meter on my cart I was watching it charge towards the end with a new set of 36v batteries it took overnight and then some it got a little over 40v then cut off for its first charge. I was getting a little concerned also.
Seems to charge a little quicker each time now but still gets up to 40ish before it kicks off.
Dude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sounds like Charger problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude007 View Post
I have a new digital meter on my cart I was watching it charge towards the end with a new set of 36v batteries it took overnight and then some it got a little over 40v then cut off for its first charge. I was getting a little concerned also.
Seems to charge a little quicker each time now but still gets up to 40ish before it kicks off.
Your DVM meter on the dash isn't measuring the pack voltage at the same place the battery charger is sensing battery pack voltage.

Since your friend's charge acts the same way on your cart, I suspect the black and white 10ga wires from the cart's charge receptacle to the main terminals of the battery pack need some TLC.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO