lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
carnau
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 Electric EZGO Battery Problems.

Hello Everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have a 2012 Electric EZGO That I bought Brand new in 2012. It is stored in a Garage all year long every year.

For the first 2 or 3 years the Cart was great. It never had and problems and then one day... It would not move and the Terminal on top of the battery was melted all the way off. It did not hurt the battery cable (I don't believe) because i was able to remove the nut and the cable end looked fine. It is tight, and no corrosion.

I am a GM tech by trade. I have been world class certified for 20 years with GM and I really do believe I can fix anything. Anything besides this stupid golf cart that is.

I bought a set of replacement batteries after this. They were trojan batteries and I installed them. Golf cart ran for about a month and then you could ride it for 15 or 20 mins and it would be dead. It dones't have a radio and nothing added that wasn't already added from Graham Golf Cart when I bought it. (lifted and rims/tires is all)

I put it up and we stopped using it. I keep saying I am going to fix it but I live int he country and everything is an hour away so if I need anything golf cart related it takes me a long time to get to the store to get it. We have 4 wheelers and side by sides so this golf cart just sits in the shed not being used. I am tired of that. I paid around 4500 for this thing and I want to use it.

So. I bought a new set of batteries last year. Same thing. 20/30 mins riding and then it barely moves.

The batteries I bought were from Advanced Auto Parts. They are Autocraft GC2 216AH batteries. I bought them from their because they are local and again the golf cart store is over an hour away.

Are these decent batteries?

Next. All the batteries are above 6.25 volts. After sitting on the charger all night and the light being solid green on the charger.
(the charger was replaced in 2018 just in case that was the problem)

The electrolytes in all the batteries are above 1.250 using a hydrometer.

None of the cables are corroded. But I am wondering if my cables could be bad?
I found these on amazon. https:// amzn.to/ 2UFtyqi (it wont let me post links just take spaces out please) Are they decent? They are $29. How much would a set from the Golf cart place normally cost? What do you recommend?

I have checked all the connection points where the cables connect to the motor and installed new ends on where the charger cables connect to the battery.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I am just tired of this thing sitting here and I want it used or taken to the dump. Ha.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. I know it was long winded to get out my question.
carnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 Electric EZGO Battery Problems.

What is the pack voltage and each batteries voltage once fully charged and after sitting for 12 hours?
Is the charger being used designed to charge that brand battery , having correct charging profile.
Do you have larger then stock diameter tires on cart.

These questions need to be answered before trouble shooting.

Fact you had melted terminal points to bad connection,too small baterry cables,
Bad corroded cables, anything that causes resistance and heat under hi amp draw.
If having lights make sure they are powered via converter or disconnect them for trouble shooting porpuse’s
Let us know what you find.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Sideways
Gone Wild

I would start here as Cobra suggested, "Is the charger being used designed to charge that brand battery , having correct charging profile."
According to the chart below 6.25v is only 80% charged
(assuming these are 6v batteries)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The batteries are not being fully charged. What make/model charger is being used?

The melted terminal mentioned indicates excessive resistance at that connection. Could be a bad cable or an over-tightened nut on the stud. If the cable/connection gets 10°F above air temperature, it needs to be fixed.

Over-tightening a the nut on a stud type battery terminal is a common happening. The stud is a SS hex bolt embedded in a very soft metal (lead) and if too much torque is applied, the hex head twists inside the lead and loses contact between the flats, so the current density at the points skyrockets and heat is the result. Normal torque is 95 to 105 INCH/lb, or from about 7.9 to 8.7 ft/lb.

A good set of 2Ga cables cost in the neighborhood of $200.00.

What drive system does your cart have? (Series or sepex and what voltage battery pack)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
carnau
Not Yet Wild

It is an EZGO Powerwise QE (thats what came with it)

I left the charger on last night and this morning it was solid green.
The pack voltage with the charge disconnected is 37.72
Old 04-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
carnau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What drive system does your cart have? (Series or sepex and what voltage battery pack)
Where do I find this information out at?
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

$200 for cables? I'd make a set for less than that. (But I cant sell here).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnau View Post
Is your F&R on the dash, or next to your right leg?

And 37.anything means your batteries are not getting full charge, or one of them has a problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
carnau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Is your F&R on the dash, or next to your right leg?

And 37.anything means your batteries are not getting full charge, or one of them has a problem.
Ok so the F&R Switch is on the dash.

Here is a bad photo of the battery pack in my cart with the voltages and each cell electrolytes. I hate this tester, I'm not sure how accurate it is.. I wish i could use a refractometer to test this. (i am sure there is a way I am going to look into it after this.)

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1586108008
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg golfcart.jpeg (635.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnau View Post
Attached is a how to identify your cart's drive system.

I see a big red flag waving.

You have a 2012 EZGO cart with a F/R rocker switch on the dash, which should be a TXT-48, (48v sepex drive) but you have six 6V batteries in it.

--------------
The batteries are undercharged. Ought to be at least 6.37v each after they have sit for about 12 hours after the charger shuts off.

SG ought to be in the neighborhood of 1.277, but I'd contact the battery manufacturer for the recommended SG.

What is the model number of the PW-QE charger? (They come in both 36V and 48V flavors)

---------------

How about some pictures under the seat in the controller area.

Also, under the flap covering the back row of batteries there ought to be a label that has a date code on it. See attach-2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo TXT drive system ID.jpg (205.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Label on frame cross member - label circled.jpg (276.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO