lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Very happy with my new cart

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Couldn't be happier with my new cart. 2018 TXT48 in freedom mode. 20" tires 22mph top speed. One question: when going down hill it feels like it has a limiter or regulator that won't let it go over 22 mph. Is that true or am I just imagining it?

Some before and after pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4658.jpg (243.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1947.jpg (323.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1946.jpg (337.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1943.jpg (314.0 KB, 0 views)
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Very happy with my new cart

100% true, but at least its putting a little power back into the batteries in that situation.

If the next question is "how do I turn that limit off?", you dont.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

regen braking , you need a different motor
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
regen braking , you need a different motor
very tempting. would it be just a motor swap or would I need everything else too? Also, how much faster would it go?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The TXT48 is a good motor. You can get an Alltrax controller and then reduce or eliminate the regen braking. That would also give you the ability to tune the controller for any future mods, like adding a different motor, converting to lithium, etc.

My lithium cart weighs a lot less than a lead acid cart, so I have the regen set to 100 amps and it's like putting on the brakes. With the 3-mode personality switch I have it set up to be safe for the kids to drive, enjoyable for the whole family, or just plain stupid... In "just plain stupid" mode I have the cart limited to 5,600 rpm which is around 28mph with my tires, and you can really feel when it gets to 5,600... Accelerating well then stops at the 5,600 wall just like I asked the controller to do for me. Could be I have it limited to 5,700rpm, can't quite remember, but I did back it down from where it was because when I hit 30mph it wasn't fun anymore.

If it were me, I'd go with the Alltrax controller and keep the stock motor.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Sharp looking cart
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
The TXT48 is a good motor. You can get an Alltrax controller and then reduce or eliminate the regen braking. That would also give you the ability to tune the controller for any future mods, like adding a different motor, converting to lithium, etc.

My lithium cart weighs a lot less than a lead acid cart, so I have the regen set to 100 amps and it's like putting on the brakes. With the 3-mode personality switch I have it set up to be safe for the kids to drive, enjoyable for the whole family, or just plain stupid... In "just plain stupid" mode I have the cart limited to 5,600 rpm which is around 28mph with my tires, and you can really feel when it gets to 5,600... Accelerating well then stops at the 5,600 wall just like I asked the controller to do for me. Could be I have it limited to 5,700rpm, can't quite remember, but I did back it down from where it was because when I hit 30mph it wasn't fun anymore.

If it were me, I'd go with the Alltrax controller and keep the stock motor.
what size alltrax controller? I am going to resist changing anything for as long as I can, but I know eventually I will want to go faster than 22MPH. For now I am enjoying that speed
Old 04-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I would go nothing smaller then 500 amps , you can always turn it down but cant turn up a smaller one .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The stock motor is supposed to be good for 400 amps, so you can get the 500 and turn it down.

I think the stock controller is 250 or 275 or some such.

I did go with the 300 amp controller (360 amps max) but my cart is much different because it weighs less and has higher volts with the 58v lithium pack. So while the 300 is great for me I would not use it on a lead acid cart.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A stock TXT48 controller limits the motor to about 4400RPM, which is roughly 18.5MPH on stock height (18") tires and when going downhill, the controller uses regen braking to keep the motor from exceeding 4400RPM.

With 20" tall tires, 4400RPM is roughly 21MPH.

Without RPM limiting, a stock TXT48 motor will spin at about 5600RPM when connected to a 48V battery pack, which is about 24MPH on stock height tires and about 27MPH on 20" tires.

The RPM limiting of an Alltrax XCT48x00-TXT48 controller is user adjustable up to 8000RPM, but the max recommended RPM for a stock TXT48 motor is 6000RPM, so on 20" tires the max speed going downhill ought to be 29MPH, which is faster than the carts two wheel mechanical brakes are designed for.

As for what size XCT, go with the XCT48500-TXT48, it comes with the fan which is an optional add-on on the lower amp XCTs, so the cost difference isn't as much.

I know the stock 36V PDS motor can't handle more than 400A, but I'm not sure about the stock TXT48 motor. Maybe it can...
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO