lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Upgrade 36v to Alltrax or buy 48v cart?

I just purchased and repaired a non-working 2005 36v EZGO. After installing brand new batteries and giving it a tuneup and it runs great now. It was factory programmed with Freedom Mode and has aftermarket tires. Speeds around 19 mph with 2 passengers.

This is a neighborhood cart that will travel about 3-6 miles per day and carry 4 adults on relatively flat paved terrain.

Currently I feel like the cart lacks the "umph" that it needs to be safe on local streets when fully loaded.

The question is a value proposition. I have 2 options:
1) Do The Alltrax 400 upgrade for $550 which would put my cost of ownership on this cart at $2400, well below market value.

2) Sell the cart as is, apply profit + $550 to a newer 48v cart.
Long story short: Is a 36v Alltrax cart nearly as good as a stock 48v cart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200611_162758.jpg (175.9 KB, 0 views)
superfan86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade 36v to Alltrax or buy 48v cart?

Which drive system are you asking about ?
Go here if unsure > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
jshopshear
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

following
jshopshear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Which drive system are you asking about ?
Go here if unsure > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
Sepex PDS.

Not looking for anything crazy, so the XCT400PDS with the upgraded solenoid would be what I need?
Old 06-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can get a 400 or 500 amp Alltrax controller now and use it on 48 volts later when you have to replace the batteries. You would only need a different charger at that time if you did everything else now.

I would also definitely upgrade the battery cables to at least 4 AWG if you haven’t already.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
You can get a 400 or 500 amp Alltrax controller now and use it on 48 volts later when you have to replace the batteries. You would only need a different charger at that time if you did everything else now.

I would also definitely upgrade the battery cables to at least 4 AWG if you haven’t already.
That's a good point I hadn't considered.

The cart wiring is new from the previous owner, but is far from 4 AWG. Is this a worthwhile upgrade on a stock setup?

Any experience comparing a 36v modified to a 48 stock?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan86 View Post
That's a good point I hadn't considered.

The cart wiring is new from the previous owner, but is far from 4 AWG. Is this a worthwhile upgrade on a stock setup?

Any experience comparing a 36v modified to a 48 stock?

I’d do the cable upgrade along with any controller or voltage upgrade.

A 48v system will give you significantly more speed and power as supposed to stock, but an upgraded 36v cart will often be stronger than a stock 48v, depending on the upgrades done. Factory 48v carts, especially those used in golf fleets, are very limited performance wise.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
I’d do the cable upgrade along with any controller or voltage upgrade.

A 48v system will give you significantly more speed and power as supposed to stock, but an upgraded 36v cart will often be stronger than a stock 48v, depending on the upgrades done. Factory 48v carts, especially those used in golf fleets, are very limited performance wise.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a small upgrade to our current cart will be a better value for our needs vs spending significantly more on a 48v cart, with the added bonus of tinker time.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

I have found that a 36 volt PDS cart with a 500 amp controller and 22" tires will run about 25 mph. I think that stresses the stock motor, and have found it will run almost as fast with the controller turned down to 80%, essentially making it a 400 amp controller.

I have 2 of these, and changed one to 42 volts and it made it noticeably stronger. That stresses the stock motor considerably, causing it to run hotter than it should. It never completely failed, but I eventually put in an Admiral motor and solved that issue with that cart.

The cart I left on 36 volts with the controller turned down has been running for 5 years without an issue. I think adding a 500 amp controller to your cart and turning it down to 80% is a good plan. If you aren't satisfied with it, you can always change it to 42 or 48 volts. I think you will need a new motor if you go to 48, but then you will have a cart that is superior to a stock 48, and you will still have it at a good price. Good luck with it!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #10
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I have found that a 36 volt PDS cart with a 500 amp controller and 22" tires will run about 25 mph. I think that stresses the stock motor, and have found it will run almost as fast with the controller turned down to 80%, essentially making it a 400 amp controller.

I have 2 of these, and changed one to 42 volts and it made it noticeably stronger. That stresses the stock motor considerably, causing it to run hotter than it should. It never completely failed, but I eventually put in an Admiral motor and solved that issue with that cart.

The cart I left on 36 volts with the controller turned down has been running for 5 years without an issue. I think adding a 500 amp controller to your cart and turning it down to 80% is a good plan. If you aren't satisfied with it, you can always change it to 42 or 48 volts. I think you will need a new motor if you go to 48, but then you will have a cart that is superior to a stock 48, and you will still have it at a good price. Good luck with it!
Great feedback. Exactly what I needed to know.

If I hadn't had to buy batteries to get the cart running again, I probably would have gone 48v conversion from day 1, but now I guess I'll be waiting for these to die off before I spend the money on the upgrade.

Prob for the best, not sure my wife sees the value in any of this, but I did get a $500 budget for father's day, just enough to get the upgraded controller!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO