lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Default Now what's wrong with this thing?

1994 ezgo medalist. Two issues. Has a slight "clunky" noise when coasting it in yard unless I am Riding brakes or accelerating. Also and the biggest issue, Don't know if this is normal performance for a 36 volt cart but it is sluggish poking around my somewhat hilly yard. (First cart so I have no point of reference as to cart performance). Cart will stop running after a few minutes and it sounds like the motor is running but it goes nowhere. Replaced with a new solonoid and same issue. Bad controller? Bad motor? Forward and reverse selector? Has a new battery pack, new brushes and insulators. What goes bad in a controller? Can I replace it's components? Help appreciated!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Homey244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Now what's wrong with this thing?

Found the trouble shooting guide. Believe mine is non dcs?

Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Also when I let it rest for a while. It is ok and runs " normal" for a while.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey244 View Post
1994 ezgo medalist. Two issues. Has a slight "clunky" noise when coasting it in yard unless I am Riding brakes or accelerating. Also and the biggest issue, Don't know if this is normal performance for a 36 volt cart but it is sluggish poking around my somewhat hilly yard. (First cart so I have no point of reference as to cart performance). Cart will stop running after a few minutes and it sounds like the motor is running but it goes nowhere. Replaced with a new solonoid and same issue. Bad controller? Bad motor? Forward and reverse selector? Has a new battery pack, new brushes and insulators. What goes bad in a controller? Can I replace it's components? Help appreciated!

This often means the brake hubs has stripped splines.

Remove any hubcaps so you can see the castle nuts holding the hub on the axle.

If the nut is spinning and the wheel isn't, the splines are stripped. Only takes one stripped hub to keep cart from moving, but replace both sides.

Also, there are splines at both ends of axles and another set between motor and differential.

-----------
However, running normally after a few minutes rest sounds like controller overheating. What diameter tires are you running?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
This often means the brake hubs has stripped splines.

Remove any hubcaps so you can see the castle nuts holding the hub on the axle.

If the nut is spinning and the wheel isn't, the splines are stripped. Only takes one stripped hub to keep cart from moving, but replace both sides.

Also, there are splines at both ends of axles and another set between motor and differential.

-----------

However, running normally after a few minutes rest sounds like controller overheating. What diameter tires are you running?
Running stock tires. 18x8.50x8......i thought maybe the motor gear was stripped so I took motor out. Inspected the input shaft and the big gear that can be viewed through the input shaft hole. Everything looks good. Checked the rear wheels and everything good and tight. Thought that could be an issue cuz I didn't put the pins back in the castle nuts. No dice. Hope it isn't the controller.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey244 View Post
Running stock tires. 18x8.50x8......i thought maybe the motor gear was stripped so I took motor out. Inspected the input shaft and the big gear that can be viewed through the input shaft hole. Everything looks good. Checked the rear wheels and everything good and tight. Thought that could be an issue cuz I didn't put the pins back in the castle nuts. No dice. Hope it isn't the controller.

Did you actually look to see if the castle nuts were spinning and the wheels weren't turning???????? Being tight doesn't mean good.

Driving slow and going uphill draws more amps and causes the controller to get hotter. Shutting down periodically and running normally a few minutes later is a symptom of the controller going into over temperature shutdown. But, if that was happening, the motor would not be running.

The motor running when cart isn't moving is a symptom of a mechanical disconnect someplace between the motor and where rubber meets road.

So there are conflicting symptoms.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO