lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Lwgreg
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Marathon Controller Issues - Help

Have had this cart 10-15 years. The Alltrax AXE4844 R3 controller went bad. I ordered a cheap replacement just to get running and sell. The Alltrax controller only has three lugs that connect B-, B+, M-. The new controller that was sent, a model P1204M-4201 has 4 lugs. The three above and A2. I connected the new one to three lugs as per original and nothing. I think it is not right controller. Can anyone help me with this?
Lwgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1991 Marathon Controller Issues - Help

Attached is a diagram for that controller. Are you sure it is setup for ITS and 36 volt?
Attached Images
File Type: png 1ADF9854-FF04-4257-AAF6-57512304ADD6.png (27.6 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Lwgreg
Not Yet Wild

I'm not sure what I have. That is why I'm reaching out for help here. I have a Marathon that was upgraded many years ago with a AXE 4844 Controller and EMP two speed motor. Has worked great for 10+ years. The controller went out. I did a diagnostic check of controller with the help of a Alltrax Technician. The controller had a bad diode and could not be fixed. I ordered a replacement controller to just get cart running. The company I ordered from stated it would work for the application I had. This is where I'm having trouble. The replacement came with no instructions. It 4 terminals as compared to the old unit having 3. See attached photos of old unit and new unit. Can someone help me here? Is this new unit compatible with the system I have? And if so can someone provide a wiring diagram?
Attached Images
File Type: png Both Controllers pic.png (1.65 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A 1991 Marathon would have a Potbox type throttle (0-5kΩ) and a Curtis 1204M can be programmed for a variety of throttle types, so it may not be programmed for the correct throttle type.

As for the 4 terminals vs 3 terminals, just leave the A2 terminal blank.

Attached are schematics for the original setup and for the AXE setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic.JPG (143.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AXE-NPX-Potbox.jpg (265.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Lwgreg
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB, thank you for the reply. I'm at a loss here. I ordered a 275amp replacement off Ebay. It came with no instructions. Could you steer me to instructions or how to troubleshoot? What about J4 or J5. Are either of these needed for my application? Is J4 for the programming?
Old 08-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwgreg View Post
JohnnieB, thank you for the reply. I'm at a loss here. I ordered a 275amp replacement off Ebay. It came with no instructions. Could you steer me to instructions or how to troubleshoot? What about J4 or J5. Are either of these needed for my application? Is J4 for the programming?
J4 is where the programmer plugs in.
J5 is where the orange wire for 1/2 speed reverse plugs in.

Attached is a manual for the controller, but you'll need a model 1311 or 1313 handheld programmer to find out what throttle type it is set to.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curtis Controller 1204M (11B)-1.pdf (567.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO