lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #11
Kliner17
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Solenoid questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Solenoids have 2 different amp ratings, one is "continuous", and the other is "intermittent". For example, the yamaha (jw2-h1950) solenoid was rated for 225a, but that is only half the story. (And it was a really good one from the factory). If you dig deeper, into solenoid ratings, the story changes. The yamaha one could handle 225a "continuous", and 600a "intermittently". A golf cart doesnt always use all the amps a controller is rated for, and there is no way to make it do so either (unless you park it against a wall, hold the throttle down, and the wheels dont spin). A 400a controller doesnt "pump" 400a into a motor, it just allows the motor to use up to 400a from the batteries. The motor only uses as many amps as it needs, based on its rpm. When sitting at zero rpm, it can use lots of amps, all the amps the controller can deliver, but as soon as rpms increase, the amps it can use drop very quickly (we can call that "intermittent", as soon as rpms increase, load drops). Most typical carts use between 75a & 100a when cruising down the road at top speed (we can call that "continuous" load). As you can see, a solenoid rated at 225a "continuous" clearly covers those demands as well.

I hope this was clear enough to help you understand your "solenoid questions".
What about the resistor on the solenoid, neccessary?
Kliner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Some controllers will work without it, some will throw an error. It's a good idea to have one anyway, it prolongs the life of your solenoid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
Kliner17
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Some controllers will work without it, some will throw an error. It's a good idea to have one anyway, it prolongs the life of your solenoid.
Where do I get them and how do I know which ones work best for my solenoid?
Old 08-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

ScottyB sells them (www.cartsunlimited.net). There isnt really a "best one for my solenoid", they all can fit nearly any solenoid. They are specific to pack voltage though.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
Kliner17
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

New solenoid is on, cart moved a few inches but batteries are low so they are on the charger now. Here's how they read before charging today:

6.0, 5.99, 5.95, 5.96, 5.9, 5.99

I'm still confused how the cart was running perfectly after a 2 hour charge the first day, now it wont move more than a foot?
Old 09-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #16
Kliner17
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. The shuddering typically indicates insufficient amps being delivered to motor and your 5 year old batteries are beyond normal life expectancy.

At 37.0V they are less than 70% charged. See attached SoC chart.

Measure between the controller's B- and B+ to see what the voltage being felt at to controller actually is and between M- to B+ to see what is being applied to the motor.

2. A 400A rated solenoid will only pass what the controller will pass and the controller will only pass what the motor is able to draw. The fuse is determined by the controller's amp ratting, ANN250 for controllers ut to 400A and ANN400 for controllers over 400A.
B- to B+ = 36.3
M- to B+ = 36.9

Any other thoughts?
Old 09-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliner17 View Post
B- to B+ = 36.3
M- to B+ = 36.9

Any other thoughts?
Try again when the batteries are fully charged (38.2V or more)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #18
Kliner17
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Try again when the batteries are fully charged (38.2V or more)
I can, I just dont think there will be any difference between 80% charged and 100%
Old 09-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #19
Kliner17
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Charge the batteries for another 2 hours but they were reading 8.1+ so I stopped. Cart still wont move in either direction
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO