lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2020, 02:42 AM   #1
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Default Lester Summit 2 Question Txt 48v

I got my Summit 2 charger in the other day. So far so good. I however did notice that let’s say I get to 99% charged. I can unplug the charger, move the cart from shop to garage, plug chArger back in and now it says 55% and continues to charge. I’m still learning the characteristics of this charger so I wanted to ask. 2017 TXT 48v. Trojan Dc-8V batteries.
Nsmustang55ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lester Summit 2 Question Txt 48v

The % charged numbers provided by battery chargers are approximate since the only way to find out how much energy is stored in a lead-acid battery is to measure how much comes out when you drain it. (The Minutes @56A spec is and example of this process)

A lead-acid isn't fully charged until the SG (Specific Gravity) of the electrolyte ceases to increase while a charging current is flowing through it and On-Charge voltage tracks electrolyte SG, so it can be inferred that the battery isn't fully charged until the On-Charge voltage ceases to increase while on charge. The Lester Summit-II uses dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to terminate the charge cycle, but I'm not sure how it calculates % of charge, but it may be to On-Charge voltage compared to an average of On-Charge voltages reached when the dV/dT criteria is reached for the charging profile in use.

As soon as the battery is disconnected from the Summit-II while on charge, the battery voltage starts to decrease towards its At-Rest voltage, so when the charger is plugged back in, it is seeing a lower voltage than it had been.

Basically, the analog fuel gauges in the cars of yesteryear are more accurate the the any battery charger's %charge gauge.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Why do the instructions say, do not disconnect during a charge cycle and if you do have to disconnect, unplug the AC side first.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There could be a spark at the DC plug as you disconnect it. And, there could be built up hydrogen gas under the seat (hydrogen burns explosively).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Oic. I prop the seat up when I charge, I like to top off my 12v accesssory battery when I plug in the cart charger.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmustang55ol View Post
I got my Summit 2 charger in the other day. So far so good. I however did notice that let’s say I get to 99% charged. I can unplug the charger, move the cart from shop to garage, plug chArger back in and now it says 55% and continues to charge. I’m still learning the characteristics of this charger so I wanted to ask. 2017 TXT 48v. Trojan Dc-8V batteries.
So, what your saying is the problem in the batteries that arent allowing full charge still exists even with a new charger? (new charger didn't fix damaged batteries)
Old 09-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

I really don’t know. I set the profile to the batteries I have Trojan DC-8V. #22251. it will get to 99% and not get the batteries near as hot as the SC48 did before it would even hit 80%. So I know batteries are in my near future. But I’m just trying to learn about this summit 2. I just thinks it’s weird that if I unplug the charger when it’s at lets say 90% then unplug it back in it says 65% or something like that. I would think it can sense the voltage or capacity. But I’m no expert when it comes to Chargers. is it ok to just plug it in every time I’m done with it for the day? And just leave plugged in till we’re ready to ride?
Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Its dropping so far because the batteries still wont accept a 100% charge. Yes you should plug it in every day you use it, and leave it plugged in.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #9
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Yea I wanted a charger where anytime I’m not using the cart I just plug it in and it’s ready to go when I need it.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #10
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Is there anything I can try to “revive” these batteries before I go buy new ones. They’re 2016s.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO