lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question power wise charger

i've heard people say before that a gasoline generator will burn up a charger,has any one heard this?i don't know if it is under voltage or over voltage.can someone answer this myth for me so i will know?i need to know so i can charge my carts at an area with no electricity,only a 5500 generator.thanks
mr.ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: power wise charger

I have no idea where you heard this but I have never heard of a Generator causing trouble with a charger and I know plenty of people that "dry camp" and use a generator to charge their carts.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks,i thought it sounded crazy.i ride at a hunting club and one man said he had burned up 2 chargers useing a generator but i couldn't figure why,but i wouldn't try it untill someone else said so.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ez View Post
i've heard people say before that a gasoline generator will burn up a charger,has any one heard this?i don't know if it is under voltage or over voltage.can someone answer this myth for me so i will know?i need to know so i can charge my carts at an area with no electricity,only a 5500 generator.thanks
It's possible, but not likely. Same is true for just about anything with a step-up, step-down or isolation transformer connected to the AC line.
Running them at something less than their rated line frequency (60Hz here in the Good ole U.S. of A.) will cause them to overheat and overloading a generator will cause it to run slow.

Add up the wattage of what you are running on the generator at the same time you are using the charger and stay below the 5500W rating and you should be okay.

Also, if your charger is rated 50/60 Hz, your probably not going to be able to load your 5.5KW generator down enough to slow it lower than 50HZ without popping the main breaker on the generator's output.

FWIW: I was stationed in France during the '60s and England during the '70s and quite a few Stereos, Washing Machines, Refrigerators and other appliances brought over to Europe from the states by GI's and their families, were ruined when they powered them on the 220v/50Hz power using step-down transformers to reduce the line voltage to 110v/50Hz. Not all of them failed and not all the ones that did, went belly up overnight, but running 60Hz motors and transformers at 50Hz makes them run hotter and shortens their life span.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks,that makes more sense.i will only be running the charger with the generator,nothing else.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: power wise charger

I have my 5500 hooked to my 20' car trailer and run everything off of it. Lights AC and charger. Never burnt up a charger but blew up a generator before.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

Maybe your friend used too small a gen set and it bogged down, went below 50 HZ and failed to shut down as it should. He could also be running one of the the cheap chinese gen sets , dirty power, who knows...
The bigger gen sets tend to send out more stable power from what I have read.. or the Honda inverters are supposed to be real clean, you can supposedly run computers off them .. so surely it would run a charger.
rustyoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yep, the Honda inverter type generators put out pretty clean power. I've got two of them, one for furnace and fridge, the other for freezer, computer, audio/video system and a few lights.

What I like most about them is that they throttle back when lightly loaded and save fuel. The direct drive type generators have to turn 3600 RPM to put out 60Hz and use almost the same amount of fuel whether loaded heavily or lightly.

Along the line of dirty power from generators, the hospital I worked in before I retired got in some new lab analyzers that had battery back-ups (UPS) and were they ever surprised when every analyzer shut down less than an hour into the monthly generator tests. Apparently the battery backups switched to battery during the power transfer like they were supposed to, but thought the power from the generator was too dirty, so they didn't switch back to the line feed-thru mode and just ran until their batteries were depleted.
Fortunately the renegade Lab Manager had bypassed the required Capital Equipment purchase review by Clinical Engineering and I came out of the fiasco smelling like a rose.
Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have spotted the problem by just reading the specs and ended up smelling a bit differently.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Fortunately the renegade Lab Manager had bypassed the required Capital Equipment purchase review by Clinical Engineering and I came out of the fiasco smelling like a rose.
Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have spotted the problem by just reading the specs and ended up smelling a bit differently.
Sometimes, common sense escapes us all. My workplace recently installed a MAMMOTH 2.5 KW back up genset. 10 cylinder diesel, beautiful machine. The engineer told me if it was his , he would have put in 5, 5KW sets and have multiple backups and easier parts availability and maintanence and cheaper... That made too much sense for the government though : )
rustyoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
coosa
Gone Wild

I've been charging one for 5 years using a Ryobi 2200 watt inverter generator. The Lester charger that I was using died a few months ago, but I don't think it was related to the generator. I had an extra EZGO charger and have been using it since the other one failed; no issues with it so far.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO