lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan Battery Company not as good as it used to be?

So far all we have is a bunch of sales people telling customer Trojan is not as good as they used to be so buy this competitor's less expensive brand but, nobody telling us their Trojan batteries failed?
I think there is for others, as there was for me, a larger profit margin in the less expensive batteries.
I think the biggest thing Trojan did to hurt their sales was to raise prices quarterly in the deepest part of this current recession (I believe they went up 6 qtrs in a row), this coupled with the decision to install sub par batteries in new Club Cars opened the door for the competition and the current price war.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Will be interesting to see how this goes. I have T105's in both my carts now, but they are from 05 and 06, and both are ok.

I know Optima used to make an AWESOME battery in their 12V redtop. Then they sold out to Johnson Controls, production moved to Mexico, and since then I've had 3-4 redtops that didn't last two years. Sure they are under warranty, but still, when I pay through the nose for a battery, I want it to work.

Nowadays they can move production out of the US and/or put cheaper components in the batteries to help out the bottom line. Can't tell the difference by looking at the batteries either. Only time will tell.
jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Will be interesting to see how this goes. I have T105's in both my carts now, but they are from 05 and 06, and both are ok.

I know Optima used to make an AWESOME battery in their 12V redtop. Then they sold out to Johnson Controls, production moved to Mexico, and since then I've had 3-4 redtops that didn't last two years. Sure they are under warranty, but still, when I pay through the nose for a battery, I want it to work.

Nowadays they can move production out of the US and/or put cheaper components in the batteries to help out the bottom line. Can't tell the difference by looking at the batteries either. Only time will tell.
Any batteries made in Mexico are CRAP.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowslayer View Post
The battery guy I was talking to said the only way they are surviving now is people have come to associate their name with quality and now the quality is not there but folks would still rather pay more for the name than less for a better battery. Beats me, but I have been buying the US batts lately and like them so far. Never had trouble myself with Trojans either just don't see paying more for them if I can get batteries of the same or better quality for less money.
I disagree with this, they are surviving because their quality is there. No doubt they had a bad run, but In the last three years, I have put in multiple brands, Crowns, Exide, Sams, Wal-marts, etc.... and all have under performed the Trojans. In fact the worst battery life we have had has been with Crown's and Wal-marts..
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Yep. Last two Optimas I bought on the same day in Aug of 09. They were both dead/ replaced under warranty in under a year. Johnson Controls kept the pretty red case and the Optima name, and put junk innards in them. I ONLY bought Optima's starting in 1998 until the last bunch I got in 08-10, then I started getting bad ones. Won't ever buy another one.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Yep. Last two Optimas I bought on the same day in Aug of 09. They were both dead/ replaced under warranty in under a year. Johnson Controls kept the pretty red case and the Optima name, and put junk innards in them. I ONLY bought Optima's starting in 1998 until the last bunch I got in 08-10, then I started getting bad ones. Won't ever buy another one.
Totally agree. I bought an Optima yellow top for our travel trailer and it lasted a year! Good ole Duralast from autozone I replaced it with is going strong at 3.

That's is why I was curious about this Trojan business.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

I bought my last car battery from local Carquest (made by Deka in the USA). I live in the boonies, so if I have problems it's a local exchange, and it had the same warranty as the optima (2 year free replacement, 84 month prorated). $115 out the door as opposed to around $180-200 for an optima.

Odyssey is supposed to be the cat's meow on batteries now (also sold as a rebadged Sears Platinum)

Sorry to get off topic.

Interesting thread though since I was in the golf biz for awhile (until 2009) and everyone swore by the T105's. With mine being 6 and 7 years old I'm sure they won't last much longer, and as pricey as they've gotten not sure what I'll do when they die. Have hardly played golf at all in the last 2 years, so can't justify spending $1200 on batts that will get used 5-6 times/ year.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
rberg31
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well just to throw my 2 cents in, but my bats are T-105 bats (2006) and are still going strong. Not sure what the typicall life span is as I have only owned this (my first cart) for about a year now. I dont know what brand I will go with when these fail, but from reading this thread it sounds like US batteries need to be given a look see.
rberg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #29
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is like a Chevy and Ford battle .... Those who like Trojan batteries will stand behind them ..but for me I junk every Trojan battery that's goes bad in any thing we own from scissor lift , man lifts to the lulls and replace them with the US 145's ....I seem to get better service from the us battery ..at Less cost ..better amp hour and heavier plates ..so for apples to apples compare the two and make your own mind up for what you want to purchase.....
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms-shop View Post
This is like a Chevy and Ford battle .... Those who like Trojan batteries will stand behind them ..but for me I junk every Trojan battery that's goes bad in any thing we own from scissor lift , man lifts to the lulls and replace them with the US 145's ....I seem to get better service from the us battery ..at Less cost ..better amp hour and heavier plates ..so for apples to apples compare the two and make your own mind up for what you want to purchase.....

I assume you are comparing US145 to T145? Scissor lift huh? Boy that's hard on batteries!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO