lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
fire4034
Not Yet Wild

Default Where to start with EZGO Marathon Electric Restoration

I recently purchased this 91 EZGO Marathon electric cart to use at the campground. Hope I got a good deal at 700.00 on it. It has been converted to run on 3 12v marine batteries, and the ignition seems to have been disconnected but other than that it seems in decent order.

I want to do a total restoration with all the obvious cosmetic upgrades (Lift kit, wheels, tires, radio, paint, rear seat) on it so it is in top shape for the campground. The only issues I see is when I go up any type of incline it seems to stop and you have to push to get it going. If I have momentum it does very small inclines ok. I am guessing that this is just the age of the cart, but I am looking for any info on how to fix any underlying issues before I start on the cosmetic stuff. Would the Solid state conversion and going back to some "normal" battery setup fix the issues with hills? Also the batteries are only 6 months old.

Also before I begin tearing the carts that runs apart, I would like any input or links to previous restorations that I can go off of for mine. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to give. I have many more pics if needed.

http://www.franklipski.com/?attachment_id=52
fire4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to start with EZGO Marathon Electric Restoration

Marathon carts are not known for their speed or torque. However it should be able to handle inclines without needing a push. The fact that you only are using 3 12v batteries could be part of the problem. Also if the cables are all original they most likely need to be replaced as well.

There are several good threads on builds in the forum aas well as a couple of active ones.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ground-up.html

If I were you, and I once was, this is what I would do.
My first upgrade other than maybe going ahead with the lift and the size tires you want would be to go to 48v with new cables and controller. After that if you still feel like you need more speed and/or torque I would look at aftermarket motors. Since you are thinking about replacing the batteries anyway now is the time for 6-8v batteries.

My cart was a freebie in great shape but with dead batteries. I did everything else to my cart except the 48v and if I had to do it over again I would go 48v from the start.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
fire4034
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Where to start with EZGO Marathon Electric Restoration

Thanks for the input. When you say go to 48v do you mean go with the solid state speed control system? (ScottyB's Upgrade)? I think I understand that I currently have a resistor cart and I need to change to a speed control 48v system to get more speed and torque?

If I do the conversion can I use my current motor and I will then get the speed and torque for hills or will a motor upgrade be in my best interest too?

Also what is the advantage to the jakes lift kit that has a drop axle for front vs. the cheaper ones that are all block type? What do you recommend for that cart?

I hope I am not going to be in a situation where I should have bought a newer cart to start with and would have been cheaper? But I bet it would not have been this much fun!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok you have a resistor cart. I did not realize that. I would highly reccomend going to solid state if you can afford it. Scottyb is great to deal with. It will just give you more options in the long run. I think you can use your current motor but I am not 100% on that. My cart is a 91 but was a controller cart from the factory so I did not have that issue.

I have the cheaper block lift. It has worked fine for me and has all the abuse I have thrown at it off road. I really don't know what advatage the spindle lift would be over it if any.

I enjoy building things myself so I understand what you mean. I would look around this site and gather as much info as possible so you know what exactly you want to do.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have A 1990 or 1991 marathon. It was already solid state. Did they make two different versions?
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow256 View Post
I have A 1990 or 1991 marathon. It was already solid state. Did they make two different versions?
Yes, just recently found that out myself.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
fire4034
Not Yet Wild

Well I am confused.... I looked at my cart and it has what looks like a Curtis 275 Amp Speed controller in it. I guess it's not a resistor cart. This black box is in the middle of cart near the back wall of battery compartment and is mounted vertically there.

So....after charging the 3 battery system 3x12 that are 1 year old with new cables, the cart is somewhat faster but it still will not climb even the smallest of inclines. on flat ground it accelerates well and runs fairly fast.

Any thoughts on what I will need to fix this appreciated. Link below shows the battery area of the cart if that helps.

http://www.franklipski.com/?attachment_id=54
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It is definitely not a resistor style ..... I am not as knowledgeable as many of the guys here .... I might consider putting six new 6v batteries and wires , that is unless it was a 48v cart originally .... new batteries are not cheap , but I know 3 twelve volts wasn't how it was designed...... if that doesn't help at least you are going the right direction .
Damaged1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Golf cart batteries are a unique design. It is likely your 12v batteries are not capable of providing enough amperage to run the cart to it's full potential.

Have you driven other similar carts, so you know what to expect, performance wise?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
fire4034
Not Yet Wild

No Scotty, I have not driven a cart like this before. I have driven many modern carts. I am looking at going all the way to frame and restoring this cart. I don't mind doing upgrades on electrical system etc..., but just need a good plan so I will be happy with finished product. It will be useless at campground if it can't climb hills at all, we have several.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO