lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking 99 txt or 01 txt with pds

I was recently gifted 2 ezgo that have spent the last couple of years abandoned in their yard. One is a 99 txt the other is an 01 txt with PDS. I've spent the last 2 hours getting myself throughly confused about my options so it's time for some opinions...
My original idea was to restore them and sell to buy a gas cart. I'm now thinking that my best option may be to keep one of these and "beef" it up. But which one do I keep? It seems the 99 might be easy to upgrade but the PDS might be a big bonus. So. .. what's your opinion? Here's some info:

Don't consider condition. Both need a little work but are in decent shape. (The 99 has a grinding noise in rear that I can't tell if it's motor or rear end but doesn't matter because I have to fix if I sell or keep)

75% of use will be on paved fairly flat residential roads.
25% will be hilly campgrounds but these 4 weeks of the year are why I want acara cart
My kids will be major drivers of the cart

See my dilemma? The 75% says keep one the 25% tells me gas. So I guess my question really is can I beef up with a high tourque and be happy with what I have and which one? The 99 will definitely need a high tourque motor but will the 01 with PDS? Can I just have 2 or 3 different plugs and use the freedom plug around town and use the hilly for rougher areas. Do the plugs just change how the braking is handled or does the speed drop from 18 mph on freedom to 13 on the hilly also help it climb paved hills?

Whew..that's a a lot of questions. I hope you don't mind helping me or
kroy1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 txt or 01 txt with pds

In stock form, the 99 TXT with a series drive system has more low end torque than the 01 PDS with a SepEx drive system, but both do pretty well on hills.

In very general terms, a series drive is a better starting point for an off-road cart while a SepEx drive is a better starting point for an on-road cart, but the crazy guys in this loony bin have built both types of carts from both types of drives.

Personally, I prefer the SepEx drive system because I have one and it is versatile enough to handle the mixed driving conditions found in the area where I live. I need 25+ MPH to keep up with the traffic flow on city streets, but have to climb 30° grass covered hills to get into town.

Attached is a chart showing the speed and amount of regen braking for the various PDS modes. Except for top speed and amount of regen braking, performance is the same in all four modes.

Drop an Alltrax XCT controller in the PDS and it will do about 24 MPH on stock (18") height tires with a 36V battery pack.

The XCT controller is user programmable and you can limit the top speed to something more appropriate for younger kids, or for yourself and older kids, you can get more speed by upping the battery pack to 42V (28 MPH) or 48V (30+ MPH). Amount of regen braking is also user adjustable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the awesome reply. Lots of great info! I'll research the controller you mentioned. If I went to a 48v would I have to replace the motor?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroy1968 View Post
Thanks for the awesome reply. Lots of great info! I'll research the controller you mentioned. If I went to a 48v would I have to replace the motor?
No, a stock PDS motor can handle 48V.

You don't want to let it draw more than about 450A or spin it faster than about 6500 RPM (28 MPH on stock height tires), but those parameters are adjustable in the XCT.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help! I looked at one site that sells the XCT controllers. Lots of models (and specifications )to choose from but they are all cheaper then a new motor for the series cart. Now I decide which XCT fits my needs
Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroy1968 View Post
Thanks for the help! I looked at one site that sells the XCT controllers. Lots of models (and specifications )to choose from but they are all cheaper then a new motor for the series cart. Now I decide which XCT fits my needs
Probably the XCT48400PDS (same as I have) since you will be climbing some hills.

The stock PDS controller is 300A, so the XCT48300PDS is pretty much a one-to-one swap. It will have a higher top speed because the PDS controller limits the motor to 4400 RPM and the XCT doesn't (User programmable up to 8000 RPM), and it will have more low end torque since the XCT will pass more than 300A for a brief period of time.

The XCT48500PDS can pass more amps than a stock PDS motor can handle, but you can turn down the max amps it passes while running a stock PDS motor and turn it back up if you get a more robust motor in the future.

You also want to replace the stock solenoid (85A) with one rated for at least 200A.

Check out the controller/solenoid kits here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO