lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS alltrax trouble

Corrosion occurs whenever connections are exposed to air, so some connection could have been on the brink of failure when the cart was parked and failed before someone tried to move the cart again.

Also, nearly all electrical and electronic device failures occur when they are being powered up.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I took the solenoid off and started checking all of the connections on the harness and key switch for corrosion . While I had the solenoid off I put power to the small terminals and nothing clicked, shouldn't that have closed the contact on the solenoid ? Could I have a bad solenoid ?
stellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellix View Post
I took the solenoid off and started checking all of the connections on the harness and key switch for corrosion . While I had the solenoid off I put power to the small terminals and nothing clicked, shouldn't that have closed the contact on the solenoid ? Could I have a bad solenoid ?
Yes. If you put battery pack positive on one small terminal and battery pack negative on the other small terminal, the solenoid ought to click.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use a meter with large alligator clips set on continuity beep. Attach this to the large posts. A jump wire with alligator clips is attached from one small post to the battery main -. Another jump wire is attached to battery pack main + and touched to the nuts on the other small stud.(not the threads - the nuts)
Each time it is touched the meter beeps. Do this 50 times in a row. 50 Beeps? Ok, clip the + onto the solenoid so the beeper is on constantly. Disconnect the beeper and set your phone clock timer for 10 minutes. Go find you HF laser temp gun and come back in ten minutes - the solenoid should be 10-15 degrees above ambient temp and not much more.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help guys, it looks like I have a bad solenoid.Would a solenoid that's not working give an open field code? I jumped the big posts and the cart runs fine
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you put power to the 2 small terminals and the solenoid does not click then you have a bad solenoid. Replace it with a HD model. 200a is fairly inexpensive.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The one that's on it now is a white/rodgers 400, is there one better than that?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
-------------.Would a solenoid that's not working give an open field code? I jumped the big posts and the cart runs fine
I think you might have answered your own question.

If the controller isn't giving your an open field code when the solenoid contacts are bypassed, it is very likely that the bad solenoid was causing the error code.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The one that's on it now is a white/rodgers 400, is there one better than that?
I believe the Super-Duty solenoid scottyb sells (400A Continuous/1000A Peak) is the best thing since indoor plumbing.

Of course, I'm biased because the same 48V SD solenoid has been used with three different controllers (DCX400, DCX500 & XCT400), two different motors (Stock PDS & D&D ES-76-51) and two different battery packs (36V & 42V) on my cart.

It costs a little more, but has been well worth the extra expense so far.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #20
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks . I'm going to double check it tonight now that I understand how everything works . I'll probably order a solenoid and a new set of cables from him. Right now I'm running 8 6 volt U.S. Battery 1800's and want to go to 6 big 8 volts. I don't like the extra batteries in the bag well. What is the best 8 volt battery?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO