lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 95 ezgo question

JohnnieB.....Yea, I thought the solenoid drop was normal but just want to make sure...

My first post was correct about 1/2 speed in forward and full speed in reverse...Now, with switching the wires like I have post or like post have suggested, now its 1/2 speed in forward or reverse no matter how the handle is...its all 1/2 speed now...

also, it would run full speed for a while then go to 1/2 speed or it may start out 1/2 speed then pick up to full speed, but like I said, now its all 1/2 speed

The only thing new when switching bodies was the F/R switch...I didn't disconnect any wires from the motor, controller and F/R switch until I replaced the wires on the F/R switch...Im sure they were all put back like they were. The F/R switch in new..It don't go on but one way that I know off and all the brass lines up...just don't know how it could be the switch but like I said its the only new thing...

Last edited by ncseadad; 10-14-2015 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: to add more
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the cart direction and F/R lever position are in sync, the next step is to measure the voltage on the orange wire going from MS-4 on the F/R assembly to the controller.

When the F/R lever is in Reverse, you should have pack voltage on the orange wire and when the F/R lever is in Neutral or Forward, you should have zero volts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

OK JohnnieB....The forward switch in in forward and the cart goes forward and to the best of my knowledge all the wires are in their correct position.

Golf cart in reverse orange wire from MS4 to controller has pack voltage.
Golf cart in forward orange wire from NS4 to controller has pack voltage
Golf cart in neutral orange wire from MS4 to controller has 0 voltage.
These measurements are taken from the orange wire at the 6 pin connector

OK my friend...waiting on you bud...thanks bill
Old 10-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseadad View Post
OK JohnnieB....The forward switch in in forward and the cart goes forward and to the best of my knowledge all the wires are in their correct position.

Golf cart in reverse orange wire from MS4 to controller has pack voltage.
Golf cart in forward orange wire from NS4 to controller has pack voltage
Golf cart in neutral orange wire from MS4 to controller has 0 voltage.
These measurements are taken from the orange wire at the 6 pin connector

OK my friend...waiting on you bud...thanks bill
That is why it is going in 1/2 speed. You should only have voltage on orange wire when F/R is in Reverse.

Now to find out why you get voltage on the orange wire when you shouldn't be. Since it does drop to Zero in Neutral, it isn't a short in the wiring and the contacts in MS-4 are not welded shut, so it is mechanical.

EZGO uses the NC (Normally Closed) contacts, so the lever/roller arm on the microswitch has to be pushed to open the NC contacts. The roller ride on the outside circumference of the movable cam in the F/R assembly and drops into indentations when the contacts are supposed to be closed.

The attached drawing is for a Marathon and MS-4 is labeled MS-1 on it and it is mounted upside down to the way it is mounted in Medalist and TXT carts, but the same switch assemble is used in all three.

For some reason, the lever on MS-4 is not be fully depressed when the F/R lever on your cart is in something other than reverse. Could be either MS-4 or the cam rotation being out of adjustment. Eyeball MS-4 and the cam and you'll probably see what's wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-N-R with microswitches on cam.JPG (60.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 10-14-2015 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Forgot the attachment
Old 10-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Hummm interesting...When I received the new F/R switch it didn't have any switches...I had a bunch from previous work, so I picked out two of the best looking and tested them but really didn't pay attention to NO or NC. Wondering if I have a NO switch in there somewhere...

Would I be correct in saying to check continuity on these switches or a NC switch, I should have continuity only when the switch is open and not when the spring closes

While waiting I will go ahead and remove F/R switch to check the roller....

Thanks JohnnieB
Old 10-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

WELL WELL JohnnieB is my hero again...I don't know why the weirdest things have to happen to me, but its been like that all my life....oTh well....Johnnie....You hit it right on the nail when you said something was wrong with MS-4...I have tested and tested that for continuity and it worked, the switch would not close. When I would take it off, it worked perfect, I put it back on and it will not close, continuity all the time...After doing this several times, I put ms-4 back on connected lines for continuity and reached in and started trying to move or wiggle things...Here is where I found the problem..There are NO adjustments to the switches, well when I pushed down on ms4 pack voltage went away, let go and pack voltage came back...So I took a round file to the tiny holes just a little and pulled up on the switch and it tightened...Cart works perfect...Who would have thought that the alignment of the non-adjustable switch would have created a problem...

JohnnieB, you put me on the right spot to look....oh by the way, the roller was in the center of the cup...
Thanks so much for your help....
Old 10-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You might have been able to just adjust the angle of the dangle on the roller arm instead of enlarging the mounting holes.

Glad to hear you found the problem and fixed it, I just narrowed the search area down a bit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO