lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Default Reed Switch

Does a 2010 48 volt with a rocker switch for fwd/rev have a reed switch if so can it be bypassed Thanks
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reed Switch

No, the reed switch was discontinued in 05 or 06. It may have a fuse at the battery pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
kantuckian
Gone Wild

K Thanks Question do they have anything to keep cart from running when charger is pluged in.I have one that has no sol click rev buzzer works but thats all my manual does not show much on trouble shooting 48 volt ez gos
Old 10-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckian View Post
K Thanks Question do they have anything to keep cart from running when charger is pluged in.I have one that has no sol click rev buzzer works but thats all my manual does not show much on trouble shooting 48 volt ez gos
Both the schematic and the wiring harness diagram show an Orange/Red wire labeled "Charge Disable" connecting to Pin-5 on the Curtis 1206HB controller.

That wire ultimately connects to the blue wire coming out of the 48V Charge receptacle. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the wire has to have pack voltage on it or the controller is disabled (same as RXV)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT 48V TCT schematic .JPG (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TXT 48V TCT wiring harness .JPG (89.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 10-13-2015 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Forgot the attachments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
kantuckian
Gone Wild

ok what ur saying if the blue wire coming out dosnt have bat voltage cart wont run if i connect bat voltage from bat pack to it will bypass disabler
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Both the schematic and the wiring harness diagram show an Orange/Red wire labeled "Charge Disable" connecting to Pin-5 on the Curtis 1206HB controller.

That wire ultimately connects to the blue wire coming out of the 48V Charge receptacle. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the wire has to have pack voltage on it or the controller is disabled (same as RXV)
Yep, he's got it. 48v present when charger is NOT plugged in, zero volts when charger IS plugged in. You can bypass it with B48v+. Dont forget to unplug before you drive away (you dont realize how common that is!). Be warned, a failed charge port can also cause the OEM charger to refuse to charge the batts (failed temp sensor circuit, part of the charge port)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Thanks I will put battery + to the blue wire coming out of charger plug tomorrow and see what hapens.I wish something was out there to give me step by step how to check for the control circuit not working
Old 10-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yep, he's got it. 48v present when charger is NOT plugged in, zero volts when charger IS plugged in. You can bypass it with B48v+. Dont forget to unplug before you drive away (you dont realize how common that is!). Be warned, a failed charge port can also cause the OEM charger to refuse to charge the batts (failed temp sensor circuit, part of the charge port)
Epic! Besides ripping the cord out of the charger what else is damaged when driving away while plugged in? Are there catastrophic problems if you turn the key on and push the pedal while it's on a charger? Curious why would anyone want to disable this?
culli292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by culli292 View Post
Epic! Besides ripping the cord out of the charger what else is damaged when driving away while plugged in? Are there catastrophic problems if you turn the key on and push the pedal while it's on a charger? Curious why would anyone want to disable this?
People designing electrical device that will be powered by rechargeable batteries tend to be aware the device may be powered up while the batteries are being recharged and design the device accordingly.

The only things I can remember reading about failing when powered up while the batteries are on charge are halogen bulbs in cart headlights and some owner added accessories.

Your last question is a bit out of perspective. Instead of viewing it as disabling a safety feature, view it as enabling the cart to run when said safety feature has failed.

Disabling the cart while a charger is connected to it, is a concept with merit. However, EZGO's first implementation of it (Reed Switch) caused so many operational problems the mechanically fragile reed switch was bypassed at the factory in later models that had the Powerwise "D" charge receptacle. When EZGO introduced the triangular 3-pin 48V charge receptacle, it had a less mechanically fragile electronic circuit that disabled the cart when a charger was plugged into it.

The reed switches had a nasty habit of failing when the cart was out in the middle of nowhere and EZGO was bypassing them at the factory, so when they failed on an individually owned cart, they typically go bypassed. In many cases, they were bypassed before the failure occurred.

I don't believe the electronic cart disable circuit fails anywhere near as often as the reed switch type did, but you have to replace the $100 charge receptacle to fix it or bypass it to get the cart to run again.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO