lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
FRC Dave
Not Yet Wild

Location: I live in Havelock, NC and work aboard MCAS Cherry Point
Default 1992 xi875 no go!

My cart has the solid state with HDI speed controller. I used section L of manual 33022-G01 to troubleshoot. Each step passed with the exception of the potentiometer. Installed is textron number 889473. I am only getting 2.6K ohms at half accelerator. I checked it against two on the shelf and I got the same reading. The manual calls for EZGO 32979-G1 with a reading of 4K ohms at half pedal. I have been unable to cross reference these two to see if they are compatible. Does anyone have a picture of the EZGO potentiometer 32979G1? Or any additional help. Thanks to all.
FRC Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 xi875 no go!

http://www.sourceapart.com/index.php...ing&order=DESC

Found this..but don't know if you can find it cheaper or even repair the original.
That80sGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC Dave View Post
My cart has the solid state with HDI speed controller. I used section L of manual 33022-G01 to troubleshoot. Each step passed with the exception of the potentiometer. Installed is textron number 889473. I am only getting 2.6K ohms at half accelerator. I checked it against two on the shelf and I got the same reading. The manual calls for EZGO 32979-G1 with a reading of 4K ohms at half pedal. I have been unable to cross reference these two to see if they are compatible. Does anyone have a picture of the EZGO potentiometer 32979G1? Or any additional help. Thanks to all.
I don't see anything in the service manual (330022-G01) that calls for a 4kΩ reading at 1/2 pedal.

It appears that the step number references are wrong in the troubleshooting tree on page L-9. The top box (solenoid check) should refer to Step-6 only and the Potentiometer Adjustment check should refer to Step-7 rather than step-8. The microswitch check referring to Step-8 is correct.

Step-7 calls for 1/2 inch of dead space on the pedal travel before the pot increases from 0Ω and 1/2 inch of dead space on the pedal travel after the pot reaches 4.75kΩ +/- 250Ω.

Step-8 calls for the microswitch contacts to close as close to 0Ω as possible and the "Note" associated with Step-8 indicates the controller won't turn on if the pot is at 50Ω or more when the contacts close.

If the pot has less than 50Ω when the solenoid clicks (Pedal switch closes) and smoothly increases to about 5kΩ when the pedal is nearly on the floor, the throttle sign is good,

If the pot is noisy and has spikes reaching above about 7kΩ during its transition from 0Ω to 5kΩ. If that happens, the controller goes into its anti-runaway mode and shuts down.

--------------
The troubleshooting procedures in the service manual appear to have been written by a tech-writer that was preoccupied with something other than tech writing.

Since you got as far as checking the potentiometer, I presume the battery pack voltage is adequate and the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed.

If that is correct, the problem is in the high current circuit, or the throttle.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
FRC Dave
Not Yet Wild

This is a correction. JohnnieB, I did step 7 and I had just over 4K ohms at full pedal. Is this acceptable? I checked those reading against 2 other pots we had on the shelf. They both had the same reading. The potentiometer installed is textron number 889473. I have tried to find a cross reference to the part number shown in the parts manual, but I have failed to this point. I am not sure if the one installed is compatible. Every other reading was within parameters. The microswitch on the potentiometer actuates just above 3 ohms so it is good. I turn the cart on, put the cart in f or r, the solenoid clicks with the normal 5 volt drop. We have another cart here with the same controller. I installed it with no change. Any help is more than appreciated. I also checked A1 to A2, S1 to S2, all four to ground and isolated them and checked A to S. All normal.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the ohms start at about 3Ω when the solenoid clicks and smoothly go up to about 4kΩ with pedal on floor, the cart ought to run. Or at least it is not the throttle that is keeping it from running.

Only going to 4kΩ may limit the top speed a bit, but you might be able to adjust the linkage to get it to go higher.

As for compatibility, any 0-5k pot that will fit in the box will work. Of course some will work better than others.

I don't have the exact specs, but I suspect the design calls for a linear taper, 0-5k pot with a 270° rotation.

--------
The solenoid clicks, so the problem is in the high current circuit.

Connect your DVM between B- and M- on the controller.
When the solenoid clicks, you should have FULL pack voltage.
If you don't get full pack voltage, there is an open (or excessive resistance) in the high current circuit. Find it and fix it.

If you do get full pack voltage, slowly press the pedal to the floor and the voltage between B- and M- should smoothly decrease to Zero volts.
If it doesn't, either the controller or throttle is bad (and you have a good throttle)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
FRC Dave
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to Johnnie B. The EZGO is finished. It was an intermitent break on the orange wire from MS3 to the contact on the solenoid. The wire broke without breaking through the insulation. Just a small whiteish mark. Plus someone, at some time, spliced the blue wire from the ignition switch to MS2 in with the red wire to the charger receptacle. Have a great evening.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO