lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Default My $8,000 lifted RXV rides like garbage. Selling it, need help on what I did wrong

Ok so i spent 8 billion dollars on my golf cart and I am unhappy. Below is a link with list to mods.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/5335859002.html

I installed a 6 inch jakes lift kit ( I went cheap here I regret it). I did not install rear heavy duty leaf springs (didnt know i needed to). So Basically when I am riding around anytime I hit any type of bump the rear end bangs loud. If I have 2 passengers in the back it is horrible experience driving. BANG on a dip in the road.

Would heavy duty leaf springs help my situation or not really with passengers? In general it is not a smooth ride, especially when riding over grass etc. Would you recommend jakes long travel kit? Is that my only option for a better ride? and how much better? Does jakes long travel kit replace the existing lift it? or work with it? I am not sure how much the long travel kit actually lifts the cart? I am looking for a 6 inch+ lift.

Money is no option here I just want to get this right and I thought I did all right and messed up. I plan on selling it and just doing a new build.
GotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: My $8,000 lifted RXV rides like garbage. Selling it, need help on what I did wron

The long travel is great. I've had one on an EZGO and now have one on my Yamaha. Best ride hands down. And it will lift up to 10 inches. I have mine set about 9.5 inches.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My $8,000 lifted RXV rides like garbage. Selling it, need help on what I did wron

A general rule is always install heavier rear springs when installing a rear seat to take the extra weight of passengers.The smooth ride your looking for could be the tires have too much air or too heavy sidewall or stiff tires,maybe you should look for more of a flotation type tire.The tires I have on mine seem to work great and I don't experience the harsh ride.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Ok great so the long travel kit alone is adjustable and you can lift it 10 inches?

The current tires I have are mud tires 25x10-12. I was told this is the biggest I could go with the jakes 6 inch lift kit. Is there a bigger wider tire I can go with on the jakes long travel kit?

Will the heavy duty rear leaf spring stop the banging?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The tires you will have to work out yourself for the ride your looking for,if you want looks or a comfort ride that's up to you.If you have banging then I would be looking at worn bushings either in your springs but probably your shock rubber bushings.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Depends on the year but I know the early RXVs had issues with the rear shocks bottoming out and loud bang to follow. Springs would help that.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Depends on the year but I know the early RXVs had issues with the rear shocks bottoming out and loud bang to follow. Springs would help that.
It is a 2009 RXV so first year? So maybe that is the issue. Can i change the shocks easy/cheap? or just need leaf spring?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

2008 was the first year of the RXV and shocks really don't give you any lift. I just put HD springs on my gas 09 and it raised the rear about an inch. I did not have a seat on it before i did this so really don't know if that is all you need or not..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Sweet5ltr
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaCamaro View Post
Ok so i spent 8 billion dollars on my golf cart and I am unhappy. Below is a link with list to mods.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/5335859002.html

I installed a 6 inch jakes lift kit ( I went cheap here I regret it). I did not install rear heavy duty leaf springs (didnt know i needed to). So Basically when I am riding around anytime I hit any type of bump the rear end bangs loud. If I have 2 passengers in the back it is horrible experience driving. BANG on a dip in the road.

Would heavy duty leaf springs help my situation or not really with passengers? In general it is not a smooth ride, especially when riding over grass etc. Would you recommend jakes long travel kit? Is that my only option for a better ride? and how much better? Does jakes long travel kit replace the existing lift it? or work with it? I am not sure how much the long travel kit actually lifts the cart? I am looking for a 6 inch+ lift.

Money is no option here I just want to get this right and I thought I did all right and messed up. I plan on selling it and just doing a new build.
Honestly, I felt the same way initially when purchasing my lift kit. When I looked at the prices of a LT vs. a typical a-arm assembly, like everyone else, it was a tough sell due to price. What isn't really spoken about here enough is: the completely new suspension geometry, drastically improved ride, front end articulation advantages, and even the new rack & pinion steering you will receive with a LT kit. Honestly, it's a night and day difference. I run 27" tires on my cart with around an 8" lift in the front (The LT kits are adjustable from 6-10"). With my 4-leafs swapped over the axle, Monroe Sensa-trac shocks, and shackle block kit; I am right at around 8" on the rear as well. The LT kit replaces nearly every component on the front of the cart as well, so not many used parts other than a few bolts you will need to reuse and a few holes you may/may not need to drill.

Lets face it, their are very few suspension setups on carts that can make you go 'wow' like a Jakes Long Travel kit. It looks as great as it performs.
Sweet5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Thanks for the Info. On the long travel kits I have been reading about them and I think thats what i should have went with from the beginning.

Does the Long travel kit make your front wheels farther apart? I have limited space in the garage for the golf cart now as its very wide with the huge tires, im curious how much wider it will get with the LT kit. From pictures of carts online it looks like its wider then a standard lift kit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO