lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: RXV key switch ohms???

Not for low ohms.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #12
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

can you give me an example of a low ohms meter? One you say will read more accuratly than my fluke meter?

thanks
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
can you give me an example of a low ohms meter? One you say will read more accuratly than my fluke meter?

thanks
It depends on which model Fluke meter you have.

Models 87 and 187 will resolve down to 0.01Ω, but you have to null out the test lead resistance also.
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comu...msmeasurements

And then there are milliohm meters that resolve down to 0.0001Ω and use four wire test leads with Kelvin clips.
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-MO-100-Milliohm-Meter/dp/B005BXQ2R6 http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-MO-100-Milliohm-Meter/dp/B005BXQ2R6

----------
If you Fluke meter has a relative measurement mode, you can measure the Ohms of your test leads shorted together vs the Ohms of your test lead plus the Ohms of the switch contacts to get down to about 0.1Ω fairly accurately if the display will resolve one digit to the right of the decimal point.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

4 wire is the only way to read low ohms accurately. In addition to 4 wire, they also use a higher current to do the measurement. Even if you null your leads, you will get false readings on a standard ohmmeter due to contact resistance. The 4 wire Kelvin leads remove that error. The low ohm meter I used to measure cable resistance on electric cars put 10 amps through the cable with a 4 wire measurement. (circa 1974)
Old 12-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
4 wire is the only way to read low ohms accurately. In addition to 4 wire, they also use a higher current to do the measurement. Even if you null your leads, you will get false readings on a standard ohmmeter due to contact resistance. The 4 wire Kelvin leads remove that error. The low ohm meter I used to measure cable resistance on electric cars put 10 amps through the cable with a 4 wire measurement. (circa 1974)
I agree, but it also depends on how you define "Low" Ohms.

One school of thought is <1Ω and a other is <5Ω, but with some 2-wire test lead systems one can measure down to about 0.1Ω with reasonable enough accuracy for non-critical measurements. Personally, I prefer 4-wire systems for anything below 10Ω, but feel comfortable with 2-wire systems with known accuracy down to 0.1Ω. The key words being "known accuracy", I don't have confidence in the accuracy of any generic 2-wire ohmmeter below 10Ω unless I have validated it.

IIRC: The 4-wire milliohm meter (circa mid-1990's) I used to compare the OEM cables that were on my 2008 cart against the 2Ga silver soldered cables I got from Scottyb in 2011, used a 1A current source, but only displayed down to 0.001Ω since it was designed to measure the grounding of medical equipment.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most time you don't need accuracy at low ohms but I wouldn't trust most meters below 10 ohms because the contact resistance is too variable. We built our own 4 wire low ohms meters when I was working on electric cars.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #17
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have a fluke 73III multimeter. So where does my meter stand in this scenario?

Can i use it to get an accurate ohms reading on the RXV wires/etc?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Accurate enough for most needs, not gonna help for "encoders" tho. I think these guys are "nit-picking" a little for what you are doing . Touch your ohm meter leads together while on the lowest ohm setting, note reading. That will be considered your "zero".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

volt amp- Give me a model number of a meter( brand and model nunber)

that you suggest for using on this rxv sensitive wiring?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

cg, im gonna pm you, i have a question for you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO