lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Kainedogg
Not Yet Wild

Smile 90 Marathon...a thousand Noob queries

In my previous intro I stated I had picked up a golf cart from the next door neighbor. It does not run and before I pull out the old billfold, I have questions. I did a search, some of the answers were dated so I thought it best to pose my questions in my own thread. Here goes:

1. I reside in Tampa, and would like to know the best place to get batteries and what brand/model will support future upgrades.

2. Once I get the new batteries, what is the next logical modification for more power to clear the few acres that I have, while towing 4 people.

3. Are the wheels interchangeable between various models? I plan to do a lift...once I figure out where to get it from, and aggressive tread will go far in the tall grass here.

4. Does this old Marathon actually have a aftermarket support or is she too long in the tooth. This is my first golf cart and I want to make it a blast to putt around in.
Kainedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 90 Marathon...a thousand Noob queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainedogg View Post
In my previous intro I stated I had picked up a golf cart from the next door neighbor. It does not run and before I pull out the old billfold, I have questions. I did a search, some of the answers were dated so I thought it best to pose my questions in my own thread. Here goes:

1. I reside in Tampa, and would like to know the best place to get batteries and what brand/model will support future upgrades.

powertron or trojan .... affordable golf carts, hudson http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvd/5341530649.html

2. Once I get the new batteries, what is the next logical modification for more power to clear the few acres that I have, while towing 4 people.

better controler http://www.cartsunlimited.net/series-controllers.html

3. Are the wheels interchangeable between various models? I plan to do a lift...once I figure out where to get it from, and aggressive tread will go far in the tall grass here.
long in the tooth. This is my first golf cart and I want to make it a blast to putt around in.
yes , you will need to plan out your upgrade(s)
then get tires / wheels / lift
all carts have there ups & downs , you can get the 90's cart parts so it is worth the investment
Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
crash test dummy

lift

http://golfcartking.com/ezgo-maratho...t-kit-89-94-5/

tire wheel combo's

http://golfcartking.com/lifted-tire-and-wheel-combos/
Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Before you start buying components, determine what the desired end result is. The cart will need different components and possibly different voltage for on road use than putting around a trailer or camp park.

Lots of people who want more torque and speed convert these carts to 48v with 6/8v batteries and DPI charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Take Scottyb's advice on this. Take some time to figure out what you want for the end result so that you buy the right stuff the first time.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lots of people jump into a set of inexpensive 6v batteries just to see if it will run... and then find it won't perform as desired with the batteries chosen.

They all run. Some just take more parts than others. Once we know what you want the cart to look like (lowered or big tires or 4 passenger or stretched or ? ) and how you want it to perform and WHERE, we can begin to suggest components that will give the desired results
Old 12-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Kainedogg
Not Yet Wild

Gents, this is exactly why I posed the question. I have 5 acres and I need to be able to run from one end to the next without issue with 4 people. I don't care about speed since you hit a rut and everyone will be flying off. I need to be able to drive through tall grass and maybe drive 1.4 miles to the corner store and back. Not worried about top speed, at all. I am working on a gas dune buggy for that.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainedogg View Post
Gents, this is exactly why I posed the question. I have 5 acres and I need to be able to run from one end to the next without issue with 4 people. I don't care about speed since you hit a rut and everyone will be flying off. I need to be able to drive through tall grass and maybe drive 1.4 miles to the corner store and back. Not worried about top speed, at all. I am working on a gas dune buggy for that.
1990 saw the introduction of solid state speed control in mid year production. We need to know which drive system you have. Can you post a pic of the top of all 6 batteries or where they would sit if missing.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Kainedogg
Not Yet Wild

That I will do ScottyB. As soon as I get home, I will snap a pic. Thanks again for all the questions you have answered in the past. After skimming all the threads (or most) you have never posted a snarky or condescending remark...lol
Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

In my opinion you are better off to follow these guys advice and build the older cart to the task. You could spend a small fortune on a fancy shiny new model 1 and it not do the job.

I have trouble walking due to a accident and use my 36 volt carts to get around the 6 acres here and to a garden spot about 1/2 mile down the road.
None are speed demons and frankly I don't need to go to fast. My 81 year old dad can't stay off the side of the house at factory speed so I dang sure aint upgrading his!

Tires, that is the weak point of a stock cart. Snow,ice,deep mud ,forget it. you have a yard ornament during that time with stock tires.
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO