lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Getting ready to go enter the cart world.

Series drive carts historically have the most off-road worthy drive system, Ezgo and CC are the 2 most popular carts. Both are American made with plenty of upgrade goodies available. The kind of off-roading you describe could be done with a sepex drive cart like Ezgo DCS, PDS or CC IQ in addition to series drive

I gotta wonder why the RXV doesn't hold a larger share of the off road market if it is the best cart for the job.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since the statement quoted below (emphasis added) was in the original post and an RXV is not known to be a DIY project for anyone lacking significant disposable income and at least a BSEE, or equivilant, whether an RXV would be a good hunting cart or not, is a moot point.

"I want to buy a project cart that my daughter and I can spend time building but I'm at a bit of a loss on the platform I should get."

As for grassflatsfisher's horror story about his failed attempt to build a hunting cart out of a '02 PDS; It sounds like he didn't do his homework and was learning from trial and error. To me at least, burning up a Plum Quick motor and a D&D motor in months and days respectively indicates the set-up was wrong for how the cart was being used. My guess is that it had very tall, low pressure tires.

He converted it to a series drive with a two-speed motor and it performed well for how he was using it, but staying with the sepex drive and installing a two-speed axle (having 20:1 and 10:1 gear ratios) probably would have had similar results.

----------
Bottom line is that the OP said he wanted a father & daughter building project whose goal was a cart they would use exclusively for hunting.

He did not say he wanted to buy a cart they could use for hunting.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Johnny B.

No argument with any statement you have made.

RXV's can be a good project cart -- lift / tires / brush bar / light kits & bars / racks /
flip seats / utility beds / winch kits

Many project hours without needing to mod electronics .

No skin in this game for me -- just hoping to help---
TXT's are good off road carts - just pick what is best for you.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
NC Hunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Johnny B.

No argument with any statement you have made.

RXV's can be a good project cart -- lift / tires / brush bar / light kits & bars / racks /
flip seats / utility beds / winch kits

Many project hours without needing to mod electronics .

No skin in this game for me -- just hoping to help---
TXT's are good off road carts - just pick what is best for you.
So correct me where I'm wrong in my thinking here. Someone earlier mentioned buying a cart with some mods already added vs buying a basic cart and adding everything. To me a project would simply be a cart that we can spend time working on. Whether that's adding controller, wires, solenoid, etc. or baskets, lift kits, tire/wheels, etc. those are both projects.

In this area I'm not finding too many TXT series carts but when I do they are usually in the $1000 range needing batteries. To my way of thinking I can get one of these carts and add the following:

Cart $1000
Batteries 6/8 volts $700
Charger $250
Wires $150
Controller $600
Solenoid $125
F/R Switch $125
Total $2950

That gets me ready ready for tires/wheels and a lift and ready to hit the woods. There is also a 2011 RXV with good batteries that I can get for the same price and the RXV includes a rear flip seat and LED lights.

My origininal question was related to a good platform. I initially thought only a 36 series motor with upgrades would work for slow crusing in the woods. If an RXV works well too then I might be better off to get the RXV and start adding goodies to make it work for us.

Thoughts?
NC Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO