lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Jpitts879
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1999 Lifted EZ-GO txt

I'm a newby so hopefully this is the right area to post in. I recently picked up a 99 txt, batteries were shot. I just replaced with new Trojans, cart runs great on level ground as well as downhill. However once I hit any type of an incline it bogs down to barely moving. It is lifted and has big tires as well as a rear seat.... Voltage is good on the new batteries and cables are good also. What should I look into next? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Jpitts879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Lifted EZ-GO txt

All electric carts slow down going uphill, but shouldn't slow to a crawl unless the tires are really tall, or something else is wrong.

Which drive system do you have?
A 99 TXT would be either a series drive or a DCS.
If it has a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.

What is the battery pack voltage when measured about 12 hours after the charger shuts off? (Should be about 38.2V for a 36V battery pack).

What does the pack voltage drop to going uphill?

Are any of the high-current cables getting hot?

What is the tires height?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
Jpitts879
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Voltage seems fine, tires are huge and thought that may be the problem from the beginning. Seem to be ATV tires 22x11x8 what is the recommended tire size for the lift for maximum speed? I'm not looking to set any speed records or anything like that and I know it will be slower uphill. It is a series drive as well.

QUOTE=JohnnieB;1231151]All electric carts slow down going uphill, but shouldn't slow to a crawl unless the tires are really tall, or something else is wrong.

Which drive system do you have?
A 99 TXT would be either a series drive or a DCS.
If it has a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.

What is the battery pack voltage when measured about 12 hours after the charger shuts off? (Should be about 38.2V for a 36V battery pack).

What does the pack voltage drop to going uphill?

Are any of the high-current cables getting hot?

What is the tires height?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i have a steep hill here where i work and my series txt will go 6mph uphill and 40 downhill(NOT recommended)...it was slower when it had big tires-i now have 18.5" turf masters and it runs 12-13 mph on the flat with stock motor and controller...

a controller upgrade along with cables will fix the climbing problem....you might want to get a HD f/r switch-i did that with a 2gauge cable upgrade and noticed a big overall improvement in performance....

the bottom line is if you can feed more amps to the motor you will get more performance-how much $$ you spend will determine how fast you go uphill-ScottyB at cartsunlimited can help you choose what will give you the best bang for the buck and is an awesome guy to deal with...

good luck and happy carting!

ps-i would run your tires at max allowed inflation to reduce as much rolling resistance as possible...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=Jpitts879;1231202]Voltage seems fine, tires are huge and thought that may be the problem from the beginning. Seem to be ATV tires 22x11x8 what is the recommended tire size for the lift for maximum speed? I'm not looking to set any speed records or anything like that and I know it will be slower uphill. It is a series drive as well.

other than your lift and larger tires your cart is stock.....and its a SERIES Drive as you stated.

the biggest issue you have is the fact that by putting larger tires on it....it takes more TORQUE to turn them....on flat ground, yes it gives you a little more speed....but it robs some torque in the process. so when you attempt to go up the hill....it slows down MORE than a cart with stock height tires because you aren't supplying as much torque to the ground.

as mutant mentioned, to avoid the issue you have, AND make your cart more reliable, you will need to upgrade the controller, the F&R switch, and ALL if the High Current cables. and the best place to do that is at CartsUnlimited.net Scotty will "HOOK YOU UP"
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpitts879 View Post
Voltage seems fine, tires are huge and thought that may be the problem from the beginning. Seem to be ATV tires 22x11x8 what is the recommended tire size for the lift for maximum speed? I'm not looking to set any speed records or anything like that and I know it will be slower uphill. It is a series drive as well.
The answer your question I highlight in blue is: The taller the tires, the higher the cart speed, but the taller the tires, the more it will slow going uphill.

Conversely, the shorter the tires, the slower the cart, but the closer the uphill speed will be to the level speed.

Basically, it is a juggling act. If you want to run tall tires, you have to upgrade the rest of the drive system to compensate for the loss in torque caused by changing the final drive ratio.

The stock high current cables, solenoid, F/R switch and controller were selected to turn 18" tires, and if they are the original parts in a 1999 cart, they now may be inadequate for just turning 18" tires since they were about bare minimum to start with and have been in use for 17 years.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Jpitts879
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help, I'll be emailing ScottyB shortly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO