lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Bobbyg1003
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO year and model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I meant to include these in the earlier post.
Looks really good, I didn't realize the back seat folded up like that. Thanks!
Bobbyg1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Bobbyg1003
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Looks to be a Medalist (metal body). Appears to have a factory rear seat which could mean this cart was never part of a golf course fleet. This could also mean slightly upgraded electronics compared to a stock golf cart. A possibility anyway. The cost of batteries in your area plus the purchase price is the real cost of the cart.

Post pictures of the back of the cart and under the seat if you get it please.
Here are a few pictures from the cart. I picked it up today. The underside looks clean minus the battery compartment that has surface rust. There is no placard on the passenger side, it was missing. The one on the drivers side is not really readable and not sure it says anything important. Looks like you guys are right, it was built as a 4 seater instead of made into one. Looks like the speed at the moment is about 8-9 mph by GPS, I am charging it now but was told is was charged. The Trojan batteries are from 2013, not sure on the others yet. Does this seem like normal speeds at the moment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.jpg (114.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (122.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.jpg (164.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.jpg (176.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0085.jpg (277.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Bobbyg1003; 01-05-2016 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 01-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Should run in the 12-15mph range. Check for dragging brakes and or bearings, but most likely weak batteries. Charge the batteries, wait 10-12 hours after the charger shuts off and take the pack voltage and individual battery voltages with a digital meter. Then attach the meter probes with alligator clips or tape, drive the cart and see what the pack voltage drops to. Post the results.

The good news is the batteries are good enough to prove the cart runs.

This can be a nice cart if you want put the effort into restoring it. Lots of people do it and there are a lot of threads on this board about it.
If you decide to tear it down, be careful with the plastic parts on the body especially the rear end around the bagwell and foot rest. Replacements may be difficult or impossible to find.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Bobbyg1003
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Should run in the 12-15mph range. Check for dragging brakes and or bearings, but most likely weak batteries. Charge the batteries, wait 10-12 hours after the charger shuts off and take the pack voltage and individual battery voltages with a digital meter. Then attach the meter probes with alligator clips or tape, drive the cart and see what the pack voltage drops to. Post the results.

The good news is the batteries are good enough to prove the cart runs.

This can be a nice cart if you want put the effort into restoring it. Lots of people do it and there are a lot of threads on this board about it.
If you decide to tear it down, be careful with the plastic parts on the body especially the rear end around the bagwell and foot rest. Replacements may be difficult or impossible to find.
Ok so I finally have some numbers. It has been well I've 12 hrs since I charged it due to my work schedule but it has not been used. Looks like the numbers are as followed:
Total pack- 37.08
1- 6.19
2- 6.29
3- 6.29
4- 6.12
5- 6.03
6- 6.16

I will check the voltage while running in a few and see what it does. The one think I noticed is the other day prior to charging it was about 1/4 on the battery meter. I put it on charge and it stopped in about 2 hrs of charging. This was after driving about 3 miles and a little over an Hr. Is this normal. Thanks again
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As you can see from the chart, the pack is only about 65% charged. Even the two batteries showing the most voltage do not charge to 100%. Likely you will see significant voltage sag when tested under load.

2 years is not very old for Trojan batteries but neglect/abuse can kill them in a hurry.

Best advice is to replace them. All six and they should be identical. If you are unfamiliar with the care and feeding of lead acid batteries here is a place to start. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/batter...they-work.html

This is the time to contemplate the future use of the cart. If converting to 48v is necessary or probable, this is the time to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3..jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
Bobbyg1003
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir, looks like when I start out it drops to about 30v. About .5 miles in I went up and hill and it dropped to about 27v. When I got back about 4 miles later it was down to about 33v and 2 bars on the battery. This was about 40 min or ride time with pedal down most of the way. Like you state I think it is time for some new batteries.

What kind of price would a 48v cost, ballpark? Also could I just throw a high speed motor on there and be good with a lift and tires?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In general to go to 48v you need a 48v capable speed control with solenoid, diode and resister, 48v charger and of course batteries. Usually 6x8v batteries but could also be 8x6v or even 4x12v (usually not recommended). You should also tend to the F/R switch (weak area) and the high current wires (the fat wires, all of them).

So, I shopped here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/ for ball park prices. You can learn a lot from this site even if you don't purchase.
I came up with $1075 for controller&solenoid, charger, wires, and F/R switch. You may be able to get away with a little less. You have to add the price of batteries in your area but remember you have to buy them anyway. 8v batteries will be a little more than 6v (about $10 more ea. in my area)
The motor will run on 48v so I would do it last. You might not need to change it.

In electric carts there is always a tradeoff between speed and torque. Generally people who put large tires on use high torque motors because you are effectively changing the final drive ratio (gearing it up) Speed motors don't have the torque to turn the wheels so everything heats up. Heat is bad.

My cart has been converted to 48v. Runs 22-23 mph on 17" tires with good torque to climb small hills. Included a motor change besides the 48v but I had changed it before the conversion. I wouldn't do it that way if I was to do it again.

I suggest that you start a new thread now describing the cart you obtained and your goals for the end game. More eyes will look at it including experienced techs and people who have done what your contemplating.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #18
Bobbyg1003
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot Kernal for all your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO