lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default 24V reducer?

On my parts cart there was a 24V reducer to get 12V for lights. I have installed the lights on my project cart. It has 6V batteries, so I just hooked it to two of them for now.

My question, why is the reducer go from 24 to 12 instead of 48 to 12? (the parts cart was a 48V) I always thought that the reason for a reducer was to drain the batteries evenly. Is there any reason I should use this reducer?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 24V reducer?

no it was just an option like 16v to 12v , go with a 48v reducer
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just verify the 48V reducer can still regulate with 24V nominal or your minimum pack voltage, don't assume!

All reducers (DC-DC converter) have a min/max range input that they will operate properly, some are isolated output, some are not. It all depends on what your requirements are for your project.
The main idea of a reducer is to draw power from entire pack instead of tapping from a couple of batteries and unbalancing the pack which reduces life and power draw.
rottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Just verify the 48V reducer can still regulate with 24V nominal or your minimum pack voltage, don't assume!

All reducers (DC-DC converter) have a min/max range input that they will operate properly, some are isolated output, some are not. It all depends on what your requirements are for your project.
The main idea of a reducer is to draw power from entire pack instead of tapping from a couple of batteries and unbalancing the pack which reduces life and power draw.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you trying to say I can hook the 24v reducer to 48v pack?

Crash, I don't have a 48V reducer. I don't really use 12Vs very often. My other cart has lights hooked to 2 batteries for years with no ill effects. So I either use this one or none. Assuming that I can only hook it to 4 batteries, is that better than no reducer hooked to 2 batteries?

It just seems to me that if you must run a reducer, why didn't they (parts cart mfg.) reduce 48V? I guess it must have been money. That usually is the reason.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
crash test dummy

in your case i would do the 12v hook up and rotate them ever few months
i have used a 12v car battery for my lights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO