lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Snowman2
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo goes faster in reverse than forward

I have a 2001 Ezgo, TXT, 36 volt, GE high torque & speed series motor 6.1 hp (raptor), 500 amp GE controller, 2 gauge wires throughout.

I replaced the wires from 4 gauge to 2 gauge just recently notice a huge difference in my take off speed, but when I put it reverse it is much faster than in forward. When I replaced the wires I did one at a time to make sure that I did not get any mixed up. Was wondering if I switch the wires on the motor from the forward to reverse will that make the speed go to the forward position. Any help would be great

Thanks in advance,

Snowman
Snowman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo goes faster in reverse than forward

YES it will.....the only 2 cables you need to switch are the S1 and S2. you can either do it at the motor or at the F&R Switch. Either way, it will produce the desired effect.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Swapping field wires will reverse the direction selection handle or toggle only, not the the motor rotation direction for forward or reverse.
A slightly quicker reverse operation is noted in some motors. I'm told this is an unintended result of motor timing. Physically swapping the rear end so the left tire is on the right side would reverse the motor rotation direction but I'm not engineer enough to say whether running the motor in the quicker reverse mode for extended periods of time would adversely effect it. I am guessing it would create effects like increased heat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not familiar with a 500A GE series controller, but does it have a half-speed reverse like a Curtis 1204/5 controller?

If so, the F/R switch might be out of sync with the cart direction.

------------
As for a motor spinning slightly faster CW than CCW (or vice versa) with the same voltage applied, my guess is that it would run slightly cooler in the direction it spins faster in, due to more of the applied energy being converted to torque and less being converted to heat.

Basically, an electric motor is an energy converter and all the electrical energy that enters the motor is converted into either motion or heat, so if the energy input is the same and more motion is produced, less heat is produced.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Snowman2
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the responses, sorry for the delayed response on my part.

I would like to get the acceleration that I am getting in reverse to the forward, but on the other hand I don't want to cause any unforeseen problems by switching it. I still have good acceleration and top speed in forward, but the reverse is better.

This all changed when I upgraded the wires to 2 gauge. I had 4 on it prior.

In your professional experienced and opinion ....what should I do....?
Snowman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well to be honest.....personally, I believe during your cable upgrade process, you must have accidentally swapped two of the cables. as just changing the cables, and the cables only and nothing else would not have resulted in the speed swap you have described.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As I understand the situation, the direction selected by the F/R lever and the direction the cart travels match, so swapping the S1 & S2 cables will just make the cart go backwards when the F/R lever in in Forward.

The direction the motor spins, either CW or CCW, to make the cart for forward or backwards, is a physical thing. Whether the motor spins CW or CCW to move the cart forward depends on whether the end cap on the motor is closest to driver side rear tire (EZGO) or the passenger side rear tire (CC). To change the direction of motor rotation for forward, you will have to physically swap the way the rear axle is mounted in the cart, which may, or may not be, possible.

I suspect, the motor has always been faster in reverse than forward, but the fact was only noticed after the 4ga cables were upgraded to 2Ga, however there is something you might try.

What makes a motor spin CW or CCW isn't the direction of current flow, instead it's the relative direction of current flow between the armature and stator. Therefore, try swapping both the A1 & A2 cables and the S1 & S2 cables on the motor.

Put the cable now on the A1 stud on the A2 stud and the cable now on the A2 stud on the A1 stud. And put the cable now on the S1 stud on the S2 stud and the cable now on the S2 stud on the S1 stud.

I don't know if that will change how fast the motor spins in each direction or not, and I am grasping at theoretical straws, but it is the only thing that I can think of, short of physically swapping the axle end for end, that might have any effect.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO