lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help identifying wire on battery

The finish charge voltage is higher than the absorption charge you calculated.
Finish voltage is in the 2.55V +/- 0.05V, which is 60.0V to 62.4V and I'm not sure if a 917-4810 will go that high.

The best bet would be to contact USB and ask if your PW-QE will do the job.
http://usbattery.com/contact/

Also, after your new batteries are broken in, make sure they are reading 51.3V (or higher) 12 to 24 hours after the charger automatically shuts off. (Attached is a Voltage vs SoC chart from US Battery)
Attached Images
File Type: png US Battery SoC vs OCV table from USB.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
harleyman1340
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB, like I said I know just enough about batteries to be dangerious and sometimes ask stupid questions. You gave me info on a "finish" charge, I've never heard of a "finish" charge, I though the various charge cycles were Bulk, Absorb and Float and you need to ocassionaly perform an Equilization charge. I went back to the US batteries web site and they are calling the charge levels you describe as a "finish" charge an "equilization" charge. USB also gives advice on performing an eqilization charge once a month which basically involves resetting my charger by unplugging it and plugging it back in at the end of the absorb charge. Since it looks like the max charge my charger is capable of is 59.8volts I may not be able to do an equilization in the parameters set by USB (I'm at 99.97% of the required minimum). I hope my current charger is adequate to substantually maximize the life of my batteries without having to invest in another charger. I hope my assumptions are correct, if not please advise. I don't need to be buying batteries every 2 or 3 years.
harleyman1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is the complete charging recommendations from US Battery.
Check out page-2

In all honesty, I never looked very closely at the two stage, so I wasn't aware that it said only going to 2.45V +/- 0.05V was high enough for a two stage charger. Both the 1-stage and 3-stage go to 2.55V +/- 0.05V, so I find it odd that a 2-stage is anything less.

I know a PW-QE is not a single stage charger, so that leaves two stage or three stage and I'm not sure which it is. Like I said earlier, the best bet would be contacting US Battery to find out if a 917-4810 is on their acceptable list.

If it isn't, get a DPI Accusense charger, it has a specific US Battery algorithm that is used selectable.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-chargers.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-charging-recommendations.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
harleyman1340
Not Yet Wild

That link kinda clears up things for me. Based on the observations of my charger I'm going to assume it's a 2 stage (bulk and absorb) I believe the charger is in bulk stage when you get a short green light, absorb stage with a long green light and cycled off with a solid green light. I would need an amp meter to verify my suspicions. USB prefers a 3 stage charger but is ok with a two stage as long as a monthly equilization is preformed (which I read on the battery spec sheet is a recycling of the charger after the absorb stage finishes). When I learn more so I can carry on a knowledgable conservation with someone at USB I'll give them a call. Untill then I feel that with what I know I'll just keep my current charger till it craps out. If they tell me something different I'll look for a different charger then.
harleyman1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO