lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #21
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 PDS cable question

"Why, drag for the most part in multiple areas. Brakes, windshield, dog hanging out of the cart "

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
We can't know if the dog is long or short haired... that would make a difference Oh - and we don't know if he has his mouth open or closed........

Actually I was questioning your answer about the cart using more amperage at speed. Electric motors create a thing called EMF or back electromotive force. And the faster it spins the more EMF it creates which results in less amperage consumed the faster it goes.
That's why I have a low drag dog.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

SWMBO and I have streamlined felines, so they have very little mechanical drag at speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There's much that can be done to make your dog more aerodynamic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg race dog.jpg (13.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #24
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Real amp draw information from the Alltrax data log. Note this is a modified cart but the point I'm trying to make is clear.

At 4.5 to 8.1 MPH is 308 amps drawn
9.4 to 12.1 MPH is 211 amps
12.3 to 16.3 MPH is 189 amps
16.3 to 20.4 MPH is 161 amps
20.4 to 24.4 MPH is 126 amps
24.5 to 27.5 MPH is 99 amps

In this data file the amperage drawn was 1/3 at top speed than that of the low speed. A normal cart would draw only about 2/3rds of the amperage shown here.

WOW-it just dawned on me that if you have good aero on a cart it becomes dynamically equal to an SR71 Blackbird...........cart`s just got even cooler!

if i put an aero body on my cart,maybe i could get a job with the CIA.......nahhh.
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #25
thaduker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
FWIW: Neither scottyb nor kgsc is wrong, but one is speaking about apples while the other is speaking about oranges.

The amp draw does decrease as motor RPM increase and the mechanical drag does increase as speed increase, however the decrease in amps vs RPM is fairly linear while the increase in drag is more or less exponential, so the net result is the fast the cart goes the less efficient it becomes.

Making matters worse, the final drive ratio for a stock PDS is 16.59:1 and to get 26-27 MPH with a stock controller, the final drive ratio has to be about 11.94:1, so the carts normal efficiency is compromised and when coupled with a battery pack whose storage capacity is only a fraction of the normal stock capacity, the impact speed has on the range on a single charge will be significant.
Sorry, I am not technical at all. Is there anything I can do to get the drive ratio to a normal range?
thaduker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduker View Post
Sorry, I am not technical at all. Is there anything I can do to get the drive ratio to a normal range?
Actually, the first thing to do is figure out what has been done to a 36v PDS cart to get it to go 26-27 MPH on level ground.

A completely stock 36V PDS cart has 12.44:1 gears in the differential and 18x8.50-8 tires, which have an effective gear ratio of 0.75:1 and those two ratios combines yields a final drive ratio of 16.59:1.

With the speed chip (Plug with two red wires) installed, the controller limits the motor to about 4400RPM, which equates to about 19MPH on 18" tall tires.

Your cart is traveling roughly 40% faster than 19MPH, so the final drive ration has been changed (Taller tires and/or numerical lower differential gear ratio); Or the speed sensor on the motor has been altered so fewer pulses per motor revolution is produced, or a combination of the two.

The maximum RPM a stock PDS motor with turn when powered by a 36V battery pack is about 5600RPM, which is only 24MPH on 18" tall tires, but would be 26.7MPH on 20" tall tires.

Basically, there are more than one way of getting the cart into the 26-27 MPH range. so lets start with identifying how tall the tires are.
What are the number embossed on the sidewalls?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
harleychief
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
SWMBO and I have streamlined felines, so they have very little mechanical drag at speed.
Thankfully CTD didn't see this post or we'd have cat pictures "all up in here"
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO