lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve77 View Post
Even from "dealers"? If that tends to be the case then I am all about trying to do my own.
Yep.....Fresh paint, cheap lift kits, and big, shiny wheels and tires are what most average people see when they look to buy a cart.......so that's what the dealers sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #12
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Best for the $$ - Buy Custom or Build Custom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve77 View Post
Even from "dealers"? If that tends to be the case then I am all about trying to do my own.
A lot of the carts advertised for sale in my area are from golf cart repair shops. I won't say anything bad about them but the carts they sell are almost always stock motor, controller, contactor, cables and two year old to new batteries.

They almost always have a lift, larger tires, paint and a rear seat.

You may have some better shops in your area. It is quite possible they do "go" upgrades, just be sure of what your buying.

A stock cart with larger wheel size and extra passengers will tax the stock drive components and reduce performance.

For a lot of people thats ok, they drive on pavement and don't drive very far. If you want it to climb hills, handle mud or sand or pull trailers the stock drivetrain won't meet your needs.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #13
swerve77
Not Yet Wild

If I were to do just a 3" lift, will a 22x10-10 tire be ok?

I would like to go bigger on the lift but the wife doesn't want to and she would kill me if it didn't fit in the garage.
swerve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 View Post
I never bought already built newer carts and couldn't be happier. I could go out tomorrow and buy new custom cart but have no desire. I enjoy doing things myself and to me nothing's more rewarding then stepping back and looking at a cart I built.
You could always buy one with a setup of your liking and keep what you have and build that when time permits.
You are at the right place for help and ideas.
Beer and cart building can be fun.
CAUTION: This can be VERY ADDICTIVE
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #15
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

There is nothing like customizing a cart the way you like/want.
It is very addicting.

Sounds like a good start on the items.
rottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
harleyman1340
Not Yet Wild

I had an early 2001 gasser and struggled with the same decision. When looking at "upgrading" my this cart I considered the following as con's
The lift kit options changed in 2001.5, a newer cart seemed to have more lift kit options.
Since the body's are plastic and not metal, they have some "give", I was concerned a new paint job might wind up with cracks if the body was banged (this is just a personal concern I have, I haven't read about this concern anywhere else)
When looking at individual/dealer upgrades I was also concerned about the paint issues I formed in my mind and since I was wanting a back seat I wanted to make sure whatever I bought had an upgraded suspension to support the extra weight.
When I found a ST Sport 2+2 I liked the idea that the suspension was "upgraded" from the factory, the body color was molded in at the factory, the rear seat was also factory and the fabric and imprint matched the stock front seat and the assessories (lights and horn) were also from the factory using a factory convertor.
If I had a newer cart that I would have used the factory mid lift kit (the one used on the Valor) I would have seriously considered keeping it and convince myself to put a paint job on it.
If I were in your shoes with the electric cart, and If I had room in the garage and budget I would get a newer cart that would make mama happy and keep the electric cart and make that a project performace cart. Maybe a "rat" cart with some performance upgrades, I would start with a spray can of flat black paint and a performance controller.
harleyman1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
swerve77
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all of the comments guys. A couple of things:

If I did just a 3" lift:

1) Would 22x10-10 tire be OK?
2) With that configuration, best to stay at 36V or still upgrade to 48V? I would still like to upgrade the motor but if I stayed at 36V then it would allow me to do in stages. Like upgrade the controller/solenoid stuff now, charger plugin, charger and batteries now. (I guess that would be one plus to staying 36V but am I giving up a lot of performance doing so)
swerve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #18
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

48v for sure+controller,charger,cables,ect....pull the trigger!!!!

also-the motor can be optional-the rest is pretty much a must do...imo
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO