lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My cart caught on fire!

You don't actually "Isolate" 2 batteries you just connect to 2 batteries that are connected together in series. Connect the positive lead from your winch to the positive post of a battery along with any wires already connected, now follow the lead from the negative post of that battery to the positive post of the next battery and connect the negative lead of the winch to the negative post of that battery along with any wires already connected there.
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I feel a separate winch battery would be the best option. Based upon keeping the balance in the pack. An imbalanced or lower voltage pair in the pack can cause charge problems for the other batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
Helirich
Gone Wild

Just a note guys. I have winch I got with a parts cart. (Beast) It is 24 V. So don't assume his is 12 V. He needs to check it out.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Just a note guys. I have winch I got with a parts cart. (Beast) It is 24 V. So don't assume his is 12 V. He needs to check it out.
Good catch, you are quite right, The LED light bars I have been installing are good from 9 to 30 volts so I have been connecting at 24 volts so they have a lower amp draw across the 4 batteries than just 2 batteries.
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #15
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitnhit View Post
How do I connect to just two batteries and keep an accessory (winch), isolated from the entire 48 volt pack?
Saw your post as soon as I posted my reply. Thanks!
I will order a reducer later today.
Take a multimeter and put one probe on the first (+) terminal on the battery where the (+) wire comes from the control box. Go to the next battery inline that is attached to the first battery and put the other meter probe on the (-) post. Voltage should read 12v (actually a bit over 13v) if they are fully charged. Many use two batteries in the middle of the pack to get their 12v power from. It has been posted that if used heavily this could have some negative effects on the batteries. I have my lights wired from two batteries, but I seldom use them. A voltage reducer is a better idea but is a costlier option.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #16
Spitnhit
Not Yet Wild

I replaced all 8 of the old Trojan T-145 batteries with NAPA M5 (specialty golf cart) batteries, I also replaced all the battery cables.
I don't know if this makes a difference or not but, all the old cables were lead clamp type connectors with the accessories attached to a threaded post(positive) on one battery and grounded to another battery. The new cables attach to the threaded post along with the 12V accessories. That is the only thing different in my setup. I carefully marked all my wires and took several pictures of the old setup before I removed everything.
After everything was replaced and when the key turned on is when the lights blew and the winch started smoking, and the winch directional switch caught fire. The wires from the winch going to the battery completely melted.
I have no idea why!
Spitnhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitnhit View Post
I replaced all 8 of the old Trojan T-145 batteries with NAPA M5 (specialty golf cart) batteries, I also replaced all the battery cables.
I don't know if this makes a difference or not but, all the old cables were lead clamp type connectors with the accessories attached to a threaded post(positive) on one battery and grounded to another battery. The new cables attach to the threaded post along with the 12V accessories. That is the only thing different in my setup. I carefully marked all my wires and took several pictures of the old setup before I removed everything.
After everything was replaced and when the key turned on is when the lights blew and the winch started smoking, and the winch directional switch caught fire. The wires from the winch going to the battery completely melted.
I have no idea why!
I will use a separate 12v accessory battery and keep things clean, check the thread I started about this where JohnnieB helped me out with this setup.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...n-replace.html

Starting in Post#5

I can post pictures if you want. I do not have a winch but lights, LED bar, Amp/Music are all tied into that battery.
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO