lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
JKAT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Question about factory charger

Hi all,

I'm a new member to the forum, and new to golf cart ownership. I just purchased a new (to me) 2012 RXV with new Exide batteries. The cart comes with a remanufactured OEM charger - I believe it's a Powerwise QE charger. I've read some of the threads here, and get the general impression that this charger isn't the most highly regarded, but I'm hoping to make it work for me, at least in the short term.

I'm going to be using the golf cart at a weekend/vacation house, so the cart may sometimes go a few weeks without being used. Ideally, I'd have it on a trickle charger, but my understanding is that the Powerwise QE just shuts down after it has completed one charge cycle, and doesn't initiate another charge cycle until it is unplugged/replugged. So, I'm hoping that I can 'trick' it into being a trickle charger. We have a few things automated around the house using Z Wave home automation. I'm wondering if I were to plug the charger into a Z Wave-enabled outlet, and program that outlet to come on for one full day once per week (for example, every Friday), if this would trigger the charger to re-charge the cart once per week? What I don't know (and hopefully someone here can answer) is: does the charger need to be unplugged from the cart and re-plugged into the cart to re-initiate a charge cycle, or if the power is cycled to the charger at the wall outlet, will this initiate a new charge cycle? Also, can anyone advise what the current draw of the charger is, so I can get an appropriately rated outlet?

Thanks in advance for answers, and for all the wonderful information on this site.

-John
JKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Question about factory charger

I'm not familiar with that charger, but you can test it yourself. Charge one day then the next day unplug and re-insert in the outlet. That would mimic the Z Wave.

The current draw should be listed on the data plate of the charger.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

It appears that many have had issues with the QE charger but I have been using one on my TXT for four years and it has worked perfectly. It is light and portable and easy to use.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
harleychief
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure about that particular charger, but if you decide to invest in a new charger a DPI Accusense can be left on and maintain a float charge on the battery pack. Carts Unlimited (a site sponsor) sells them.
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO