lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Powerwise QE charger-no charge-who can repair ???

I picked up an older Powerwise "tank" and I plan to use the DC connector off of the "QE" in that older one. Right now, thats about the only thing that is good about the "QE". - RAY

PS to Johnnieb: Any idea what value the MOV used in these chargers is. This charger has one MOV (the one to gnd) toasted and I'd like to replace it.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
1. I picked up an older Powerwise "tank" and I plan to use the DC connector off of the "QE" in that older one. Right now, thats about the only thing that is good about the "QE". - RAY

2. PS to Johnnieb: Any idea what value the MOV used in these chargers is. This charger has one MOV (the one to gnd) toasted and I'd like to replace it.
1. Which PowerWise charger did you get? I might have a schematic for it around here someplace.

2. There should be a 3 digit number on it. If you can still see it through the burnt stuff, that's the voltage rating.
My guess is that it'll be at least 340 or above since it is across AC line voltage.

If you can't find one, just remove it and plug the charger into an external surge protector that will handle the AC current draw of the charger.
(That's all the MOVs are used for in the charger - spike protection)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The model number of the charger is 28115-G01. I was able to find some wiring information online (may have been from one of your posts) that looks like it pertains to my charger, but I don't have a schematic (only a generic Lester schematic). Someone rewired this one to be "on" all the time, so the control board or relay may be shot. I do know the relay picks up after connecting to the batteries (as I heard it), so at least that portion works. I'm going to wire it up correctly and see what she does. Maybe I'll get lucky and have only a bad relay. We'll see. Thanks for the information - RAY

PS - So the number on the mov is the voltage rating?? I can see markings on them, but it's really a "stretch" for these old peepers!! I'm looking for my magnifying glass right now!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

This might help.

Also, check out the charger sections in the Service (28646-G01) and Parts (28789-G01) manuals in the Stickies.
PowerWise and PowerWise+ were stock chargers for the 2001 and up TXT and are included in them.

Yell if you need help getting it running right.
The relay clicking is a good sign.

--------
Not all MOVs are marked that way, but a 3-digit number in the above 340 is likely to be the voltage rating. Just get one rated for 120VAC (340) or a little higher and it'll work.
(The Peak to Peak voltage of 120VAC is 339.36V so you want to go higher than that or it will trigger on just the line voltage)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 PW Charger.pdf (3.02 MB, 16 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The model number of the charger is 28115-G01. I was able to find some wiring information online (may have been from one of your posts) that looks like it pertains to my charger, but I don't have a schematic (only a generic Lester schematic). Someone rewired this one to be "on" all the time, so the control board or relay may be shot. I do know the relay picks up after connecting to the batteries (as I heard it), so at least that portion works. I'm going to wire it up correctly and see what she does. Maybe I'll get lucky and have only a bad relay. We'll see. Thanks for the information - RAY

PS - So the number on the mov is the voltage rating?? I can see markings on them, but it's really a "stretch" for these old peepers!! I'm looking for my magnifying glass right now!
I just tore my 28115-G01 apart and broke out my magnifying goggles. Here's what I found:

S20
K150

However, don't MOVs fail closed?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks, YURTLE, for checking the numbers. That should be a help. I'm looking online right now because Radio Shack doesn't carry MOVS. I'm not sure what the normal failure mode is for MOVS, but this one was burned up. I'm talking literally 1/2 of the device was gone. I know diodes/rectifiers initally go shorted when they fail but if there is no circuit protection, some bad things can happen with them also. RAY

PS to johnnieb - THANKS FOR THE CHARGER MANUAL - that is my charger. That will help. - RAY
Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks, YURTLE, for checking the numbers. That should be a help. I'm looking online right now because Radio Shack doesn't carry MOVS. I'm not sure what the normal failure mode is for MOVS, but this one was burned up. I'm talking literally 1/2 of the device was gone. I know diodes/rectifiers initally go shorted when they fail but if there is no circuit protection, some bad things can happen with them also. RAY

PS to johnnieb - THANKS FOR THE CHARGER MANUAL - that is my charger. That will help. - RAY
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/712...l-s20k150.html

You'll probably pay more in shipping than for the part.

Good luck.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
.........However, don't MOVs fail closed?
Yes, but they tend to burn open or exploded shortly thereafter when used as a spark gap across a 120VAC input line.

A MOV's trigger point deceases each time it is triggered. A few large spikes or many smaller ones will eventually bring the trigger point into the operating voltage range of the line it is protecting and when that happens the MOV begins to conduct all the time, so it might burn open, the fuse might blow or if the MOV has a high power handling capacity and the fuse's ampacity is high enough, it just gets hot and the device being protected uses more power.

When replacing a failed MOV, it's a good idea to replace them all since they are very likely the same age and have been subjected to the same number and intensity of spikes.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
randyjordan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I opened mine up back when I first got it. It's controll board is covered in the stuff best I remember. I know I asked Grahams here at the beach about them. They said the same thing. When it quits buy a new one.
Just took mine to Grahams in North Myrtle Beach, was repaired in one day and picked it up. One years warranty on repairs, think they now have someone in the South MB store that repairs them...Randy//
randyjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #20
capmeyer
Not Yet Wild

There is a place in Maryland that fixes them. www.controllermd.com Hope this helps!
capmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO