lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

Default What can be done?

I have a line on a 1998 DS that is far from complete. It was offered to me to use as parts for my 1999 DS. All it has is a body, frame, suspension, wheels and tires, and axle. It does not have batteries, motor, wiring, or controller. Rather than use it for parts, I am contemplating building it into something that it was not intended to be. I know that A.C. Kits don’t work on this model due to spacing (I looked into it for the 1999), but what could be done? IQ? Any ideas?
Paracaidista is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: What can be done?

You absolutely could get the required electronics to build it as an IQ cart. It'll take some good money and some hours of work, but make your choices right and you could have a nearly new speedster as efficiently as possible. Make sure you document it with a thread on Member's Rides for us. Give Dave at Revolution a buzz and ask his opinion.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input. I was thinking something along those lines, but am not dead set on going in this direction. While this is in the planning stages, I was wondering if any one has any other ideas of other interesting drivetrain swaps that would be possible with this shell and rear axle, specifically things that would physically fit without a lot of fabrication. With no wiring or electronics, those would have to be built or sourced no matter what I do. I am sure Dave will know the specifics about how to make it all work together when I get to that point.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Pretty sure the Navitas 4kw AC motor will fit without clearance issues, if that’s what you would prefer to do. It’s less torque than the 5kw motor, but if you’re street driving the cart you won’t notice the difference.

The 5kw motor is quite a bit longer and will have a clearance issue with the frame/shock mount on a non-lifted cart.

With a big enough lift it doesn’t matter what you run.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #5
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

I was under the (mis)understanding that AC wouldn’t work due to the dimensions. It seems that it would be the best all round set up for this cart. I don’t really want to lift the cart unless I need to do so, as it will be used on paved surfaces in an area with gently rolling hills and I would like to keep the center of gravity low. I am definitely going to do some further investigation on this.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Only since nobody else responded, I think what Fairtax is saying that the smaller motor fits just fine and it's the larger motor that won't fit right. The later rearends (Precedent) I think are larger.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #7
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Fairtax and Wakko. I think they moved the differential offset on the rear axle (side to side). As far as the 4kw AC motor, I think that will be the direction I take. I am trying to put together a list of things I will need and am now trying to figure out what system I will go with. Since there is no wiring, throttle, motor, or controller, I am not married to anything beyond what would physically be made to fit and work together. Hypothetically, I could use a Yamaha throttle, EZgo key switch, along with the Club Car rear, since I am building on a blank slate. I would like to shoot for maximum reliability.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car