lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Passive Voltage Bypass for 8v battery

If your DPI charger charges your batteries individually you are correct. If it charges the pack, I think you will have the same problem. I'm sure Sergio will chime in.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #22
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Took battery reading this morning after twelve hour rest. Batteries are 8.57 or 8.56 one is 8.54. Pretty well balanced. Does this mean my pack should last at least another year???
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

As promised - pack voltage after 12 hours (4.5 month old pack - used 2A Battery Minder "almost" exclusively for first 50 charge cycles). After 12 hours of rest:

Batt 1 - 8.52 (pack pos.)
Batt 2 - 8.52
Batt 3 - 8.52
Batt 4 - 8.52
Batt 5 - 8.52
Batt 6 - 8.53 (pack neg.)

Looks like new batteries seem to balance themselves extremely well in this scenario. Will check again in about 3 mos. to see if there are any starting to go adrift. The DVM I have at home is a cheapie - no idea how accurate other than the relative difference between batteries.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #24
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
Took battery reading this morning after twelve hour rest. Batteries are 8.57 or 8.56 one is 8.54. Pretty well balanced. Does this mean my pack should last at least another year???
I'm sure others will chime in, but based on the numbers you posted, your pack is at 51.42V. 50.93V is 100% charged. My pack is 4 years old too and the best I have seen lately after a 12 hour rest is 50.4V. Your numbers look really good to me. Joesam's 4 month old pack is less than that after a 12 hour rest. You just need to keep doing what you are doing.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #25
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

FYI... I'm using NAPA batteries, they came with the cart.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I explained in the first post my reasoning for building these voltage by-pass devices, but let me add the following:
Batteries have a finite amount of energy that they can deliver over their lifetime that is a result of the chemical elements available in the battery.
Manufactures try to relate that information to us in their spec sheets in terms of charge/discharge cycles at different DOD (depth of discharge) levels.
You hear folks talk about their batteries lasted 5 or 10 years, but that does not mean much unless we know how many charge/discharge cycles and at what DOD occurred during that period.
I would say as a general rule, battery years spent in a golf course are like "dog" years. I recommend to my friends (now) that if they buy a cart off a golf course to assume $0 value for the batteries. If the dealer wants to put a price other than that, ask them to apply it towards a new set of batteries or go somewhere else.
I would propose that uneven "charging" and not uneven "discharging" is what really gets the packs out of balance. After all if you look at the spec sheets for any battery, a few discharge cycles, like having your lights connected to one or two batteries, that go to a lower DOD has an insignificant effect in the total number of charge/discharge cycles you can have.
The problem is every time you charge the batteries in series in the future, that one battery can potentially be undercharged and the problem can get compounded over the years.
As long you are watching for the out of balance condition and try to remedy it before it gets out of hand, these packs should last a long time for recreational use.
I also run a equalizing cycle manually every quarter now as preventive maintenance.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #27
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Sergio, I learned something new today. I will build a few of these and keep them ready for the inevitable.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I want to make clear that I am not an authority in battery science, I am just sharing my observations, research and conclusions. Hopefully this information will help other folks in the care of their batteries.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #29
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Following up on an old thread, my batteries turned another year old this month, so I took a reading after about a 12 hour rest from last charge.

Pack Voltage after rest: 51.7v

Individual batteries:
8.63v
8.62v
8.62v
8.62v
8.63v
8.62v

They are only 2 years old now, but so far they are staying pretty well balanced.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #30
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

show off.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car