lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
KawMule550
Not Yet Wild

Default FE290 Leakdown test

Has anyone ever done a leak down test on a FE290?
what PSI did you set the tester at? some people do 80, some do 90, or even 100 PSI... what's the best PSI?
the reason i'm doing this is a rebuilt the FE290 about 3 years ago (counterweight bushings, piston rings, seals gaskets, valve job and new valve seals). it ran great for about 100 hours or so. it started making a slight "pffft pfft pffft pfft" sound from the exhaust side of the cylinder head. I also had a problem with the carb running extremely lean. i ended up replacing the carburetor with a $70 knock off from amazon after i broke one of the float pin hinge casting.
anyway, the noise has kind of turned more into a "tick tick tick tick tick".. not very noticeable when cold, but as it warms up it becomes more relevant. sometimes it sound real pingy, and other times it's kind of dull.
Valve clearance is spot on at the .127mm (.005") and oil is being supplied to the head. I also got in contact with Brad Porcellato in Canada who does a bunch of work on FE engines, he said it could be possible the head gasket blew to the outside and it is making that noise and he recommended doing a leak down. so that's why i'm going to do a leak down test.
I've also got another question about repowering the FE290 when it finally does go. it's got nearly 1,600 hours on it. has anyone successfully repowered A fe290 with another engine?
KawMule550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: FE290 Leakdown test

Check your drive clutch for loose parts before you get in the motor.
A lot of times the "ping" is the clutch cover sounding like a thin bell.
The sound will also change with RPM.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
KawMule550
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, i'll check on that too.
If it ain't an outside problem i'll probably just run it until it blows up.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If it's internal and repair now it might save you from taking out the crank, cam, head, block?
But then again, pictures of catastrophic failure are cool at others expense....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
KawMule550
Not Yet Wild

I'm trying to test doing the least invasive stuff now.. it's weird how the noise changes so much. sometimes it real pingy, and sounds like it's coming from a certain spot. other days it stays quieter and i can't really locate where it is coming from.
Or i may get in touch with Brad and send him my Core and let him send me a Reman CW fe290. for $740.
appears i would have to drill a hole for the electric starter, and tap two mounting bolt holes, and swap cranks. which is no big deal. as i've installed electric starts on honda's before.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I don't set any particular pressure for a leakdown test. If the leak is obvious you'll hear and feel it.

Did you check the nuts that hold the exhaust pipe to the head? If those loosen up it can blow out the gasket and make a racket.
Also check inside the fan shroud area for any debris.

If it still runs fine I would not suspect a major internal problem. Head gaskets on these are so easy to replace it's almost funny. SO worst case you pull the head off and clean it up and just pop a new gasket on for the heck of it. I've re-used head gaskets on these before and not had an issue with them, so it seems unlikely to me that would be the problem. More likely an exhaust leak, or clutch noise like crash said.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
KawMule550
Not Yet Wild

I made sure the nuts were tight back when it started doing this.
i may pull the clutch off soon and start it without the clutch on. then do a leak down test.
I've had the fan shroud off a few times.
yeah the dern thing runs great. i can i floor it for 1/4 mile and then some and it still asks for more... the noise doesn't really get louder with higher rpm's, just faster if you listen close.
the only thing about replacing the head gasket is Murphy's Law....
Old 05-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
KawMule550
Not Yet Wild

Okay, i did the leakdown test today.... i got results... but probably not how the results should have been.. maybe did something wrong
I removed the valve cover and set the piston at TDC on compression stroke.
hooked up air, turned the regulator and went up to 90 psi.... the leak down % gauge, the needle instead of going CCW in the different percent ranges fell like a rock from Good, Clockwise down to the little peg stop almost to bad... but the opposite way. that's why i think i did something wrong. Anyway, i heard a fairly good amount of air moving in the exhaust pipe. again i verified both valves should have been closed, rockers were loose.
and i can hear air back at the muffler. didn't hear much of anything through the dipstick tube. but even i did mis use the tester in someway, i don't think i should hear air out the exhaust with both valves closed.... This takes me back to my very lean running condition last year and i'm wondering if i burned the exhaust valve?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #9
KawMule550
Not Yet Wild

re's a picture of the leakdown tester i used. On the leak % gauge, the needle started out in the yellow (below 10% green) and went Clockwise, down where there is no color and stopped at the little peg near the red... opposite of how it should've gone.
regardless, i don't think i should have heard air moving in the muffler with both valves closed.
image.png
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leakdown.jpg (38.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like a burned valve or carbon junk stuck in the valve seat.
Some air will almost always get past one of the valves, and usually it is the exhaust valve.

Try running the engine for a few minutes to warm it up and repeat the test. See if you still get the same amount of air from the exhaust valve.

The tester is probably faulty. Was it an amazon cheapie?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car