lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
Haztech
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g29 electric motor removal video needed

Hi I’m new to this but I have a Yamaha g29 electric golf cart that I suspect the motor is playing up. The cart goes but is very jerky when driving it. I’ve changed throttle sensor, solinoid and controller and cart has new batteries so down to the motor. I’ve been trying to find a video online on how to remove the electric motor but can’t find one. Anyone know of a video or can post a link to one. Thanks
Haztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g29 electric motor removal video needed

Removal isn't too hard unless the motor coupler is stuck. First - Disconnect the batery and remove the plastic cover behind the seat back. Then disconnect the motor wires and unplug the speed sensor that is on the end of the motor. The motor is only held in by three bolts - 10mm. Remove the three bolts that hold the motor to the transaxle. I support the motor with a strap and then work it away from the transaxle and drop it down on the ground. I put the rear wheels on ramps when I do it to make room underneath. Install is reverse. I do all of the hard work from the top.
My experience is with the 2009 and 2012 carts that I own which have the Team transaxle. You did not state the year so I don't know what axle you have. ALso - the stock Hitachi motor is pretty weak and you may just have to replace the brushes to get it back in shape. The symptoms you describe are often the result of failing brushes.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
Haztech
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your reply. Model is 2011. I didn’t think there was enough room to get the motor out but I’ll give it a go using your instructions. Thanks again
Old 06-25-2021, 01:05 AM   #4
sutliff01
Not Yet Wild

If you haven’t already removed the backseat to pull off the service panel, you can just pull the right rear wheel off and squeeze it out that way. It worked better that way for me because the seat was to heavy to get off by myself.
sutliff01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:28 AM   #5
Haztech
Not Yet Wild

I used a strap and dropped it down to the ground like the first reply said. Jacked the back of the cart up and pulled the motor out from under the cart. Thanks for the advice worked well. Now to tackle those brushes.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If the brushes are shot, clean up the commutator and replace them. I got mine online.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I found replacing it is easier if you use a jack to lift it into position. It's really heavy, especially when you're contorted trying to get it into position.
limaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've removed the rear body and used a strap - very comfortable...
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No need to remove the rear body - only the bag well piece. I had my cart on car ramps in the rear and I was able to remove and replace the motor working from the top using a tow strap wrapped around it. Slid it out of the spline and lowered it to the ground. Did it solo. Not my first rodeo though.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:02 AM   #10
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm spoiled with a lift now, but before that I'd jack up rear and put on stands and go from the bottom also...not so much for removal...but re-install with a strap was a pain in the a... for me from the top...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha