lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2021, 08:58 PM   #1
PLee83
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Is the icon HM4820l on board charger programmable?

I have the i60L w a hm4820L hooked to 8x 6v t-105s. I get major voltage sag going up hills on full battery in my i60L. Voltage sags to 39-41v on a fresh charge and goes 15mph or so. I have 8 x 6v t105s. On flat or downhill road 48-51v at 25mph is normal on a full charge.

I want to just add a 9th t-105 but I’m not sure if there is a stock charging profile or a software edit or if I have to hunt for a new charger. Recommendations?
This hm4820l is the same as a delta quiq 1500?

Has anyone been able to change profiles to a different profile to allow for 54-56v charging?

My thought is a 57.33v cut off with everything else the same would work and I thought I read stock t105 profiles 1 and 3 charge at 60v, so I’d think it would be capable if there were a way to set the limit to cut off when batteries reach 6.37 x 9 = 57.33v.
PLee83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
PLee83
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is the icon HM4820l on board charger programmable?

I just flipped over the hm4820l to find out it doesn’t have the indicator lights on the quiq 1500. So it’s indeed different. Anyone know if it’s programmable. Man this thing is HOT. Is it possible I have the wrong profile for my 8x 6v t-105s?
Anyway to tell what profile I have going on the hm4820l? I did get a copy of the controllers programming software (NEOS), but I don’t have a cable yet. Is the battery charger tied to the controller software too?
Old 07-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Lead acid batteries are notorious for big voltage sags and going up hill, I would expect you to have that. If you're cruising at 15mph up the hill, it's probably pretty steep and you might need to look at a controller upgrade and/or lithium if you have that many hills with long climbs. A 9th battery probably would help that some though.

I'm not sure who makes the charger, but I don't think it's a Delta-Q. The charger IS programmable, but nobody know what the cable is. You can see ICON released a video how to reprogram the charger, if you can figure out what cable they're using. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ukraN2gXFM

Also in the video they specifically say that you cannot read profiles out of the charger. It's a 1-way write.

The battery charger and controller, I think are mostly only connected by 1 or 2 control wires that simply send a signal to the controller "hey I'm plugged into the wall now with a charger, don't let the cart drive". Most chargers have the same signal wires.

I'd think your easiest option is to just buy a new charger that you can program as needed. That OR, reach out to your dealer/ICON directly and ask them for a charging profile that can handle 9 batteries. They might say it's not "covered under warranty" but from all the math I've seen and acceptable voltage ranges I've read from the devices, I think it should work fine...but I'm not going to personally guarantee anything lol.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #4
PLee83
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Atrain
You are the man.
I was thinking of adding a Dual Pole Dual Throw (DPDT) switch with a high and low setting and just running a separate 6v charger. That way I could give it a bump as needed. Would be a pita always connecting two cables every time I pull in. Would much rather have a single charger.

Funny that video was shot at the Phoenix assembly warehouse where I bought my cart off Icon directly before they had any Phoenix area dealers.

I'll try and call the Icon super store and see if maybe they would consider writing me a program for the increased voltage for the HM4820L

Have a great night!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
PLee83
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Atrain and others,

I requested to one of the guys higher in the icon chain
“Can you make a charging profile for our customer that would like to add a 9th Trojan T-105 6V battery so it follows the correct Trojan 6v charging algorithm, but the cut off (fully charged) voltage is 57.375?”

Icon principal replied with “Everything is built around a nominal 48V, fusing, cables, controller profiles, speedo, etc. Plus it would void all warranties”

I’m not a electrical engineer. But I do want to press and ask again accepting the void as my cart isn’t working well on hills and I don’t care about voiding the warranty.
1. Aren’t the only loads receiving 48v the inverter and the controller?
2. Didn’t others already determine the stock controller would take up to 63v?
3. Is the inverter capable of receiving 57v and stepping it down to 12v?
Old 08-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

@Plee83 - Regarding the 9th battery and a switch...you probably would want it always apart of the pack or never apart of the pack...not switched. Otherwise you'll get an uneven wear across the 9 batteries. When you flip the switch and add it to the pack, it will have a slightly different voltage and then the pack will try and equalize. I'm not an EE either but I hear it's not the best to do. It's like having 8 batteries and then swapping one out with a brand new battery. I'd guess the equalization can damage the new battery or something?

1. Well the motor receives it too.
2. It should according to the confidential tech spec sheet on the controller.
3. You'd have to check the inverter specifically, but there should be a label somewhere on it that says the voltage range. I just demo'd my garage to rebuild a better one so I can't really crawl around my carts for a few months to check.

I think the 9th battery would work if you got the charger situation worked out based on the specs (haven't checked DC/DC [aka reducer]) and the fact that a bunch of EZGo people do it. That's where I'd kind of start my initial investigation is with the EZGo people.

All that said...it may be worth just doing lithium in the long run if you're that concerned. The voltage sag is far less with lithium and you can use more of the pack. If the hill is a problem, you'll fly right up it with lithium and in general have more pep in your step. Just $$$ and a new market so a lot of unknowns.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
PLee83
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
@Plee83 - Regarding the 9th battery and a switch...you probably would want it always apart of the pack or never apart of the pack...not switched. Otherwise you'll get an uneven wear across the 9 batteries. When you flip the switch and add it to the pack, it will have a slightly different voltage and then the pack will try and equalize. I'm not an EE either but I hear it's not the best to do. It's like having 8 batteries and then swapping one out with a brand new battery. I'd guess the equalization can damage the new battery or something?

1. Well the motor receives it too.
2. It should according to the confidential tech spec sheet on the controller.
3. You'd have to check the inverter specifically, but there should be a label somewhere on it that says the voltage range. I just demo'd my garage to rebuild a better one so I can't really crawl around my carts for a few months to check.

I think the 9th battery would work if you got the charger situation worked out based on the specs (haven't checked DC/DC [aka reducer]) and the fact that a bunch of EZGo people do it. That's where I'd kind of start my initial investigation is with the EZGo people.

All that said...it may be worth just doing lithium in the long run if you're that concerned. The voltage sag is far less with lithium and you can use more of the pack. If the hill is a problem, you'll fly right up it with lithium and in general have more pep in your step. Just $$$ and a new market so a lot of unknowns.
I’ll continue the investigation on the inverter at another time. Left the icon and summer home til Labor Day. Too many projects at the house and had to just “deal” with 15mph uphill. Haha.

Do you know if the Toyota motor can handle the extra voltage?
Old 08-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #8
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLee83 View Post
I’ll continue the investigation on the inverter at another time. Left the icon and summer home til Labor Day. Too many projects at the house and had to just “deal” with 15mph uphill. Haha.

Do you know if the Toyota motor can handle the extra voltage?
The spec sheet looks like it can handle an extra battery. The charger is always the issue just because it's not configured to charge the entire pack up to that higher voltage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon