lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Default Change from Chinese BMS to Zeva

I finally had a guy wire up my 16 precedent with 14 leaf modules and a Chinese BMS. Everything works but I haven't really charged it because, I screwed up. Ordered the wrong BMS and the one installed doesn't have a Bluetooth module port. So instead of just ordering a different Chinese one with Bt I decided to order a zeva with the monitor.

So here's the honest truth. I'm suffering from crippling anxiety and depression. It just so happened to really set in after I had ordered everything for this leaf swap. I got what I could done, bolting the battery together and connecting the balance leads. Eventually gave in and had a guy at work do all the wiring for me cause looking at the drawings and all the parts I had ordered was literally making me sick.

Anyway back to today, the cart has been in pieces since the beginning of winter, weighing on me every time I look at it and I just really want to finish this so I can feel some sort of accomplishment on a project that feels like it has sucked the life outta me.

So everything on my cart is nicely labeled and wired with the Sergio relay setup, even if it is a mess of extra wire length. Can someone provide me with the first steps on rewiring this for my Zeva? I'm not an idiot and I know I can do this, I just need some patience and guidance.
a_machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Change from Chinese BMS to Zeva

First and foremost, I'm sorry you are suffering from anxiety and depression. As someone who suffers from anxiety, I can empathize.

Not sure if they have come out with a new updated system. If they have not, this is a great thread to go through. I was able to follow the directions they gave and utilize this thread to fill in the gaps. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149239

This should get you started, until we can confirm if they have updated the system since the time of this build. Even if they did, it can not be massively different.

Can you tell us what the model name/number/etc. is?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hang in there; you can do this! I spent something like 10 months on my cart and had to step away from it several times during the course of the build.

Do you have some pics that you can share?
simicrintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I am also sorry to hear of your health situation. I suffer from MS and have days were the fatigue (not tiredness....but fatigue) sets in to the point where my clarity of thought is gone and my ability to do much of anything but "chair snooze" is the name of the game for that day.

I know your issue is a female dog, but do your best and know you simply can't do better that that for the day your in.

Now, I've posted my ZEVA wiring diagram below. This diagram is for a 7 module pack (which was my initial install) but when I upgraded to a 14 module pack...the wiring is exactly the same.

Review it and if you have any questions, please ask. I realize you may not be working on this every day, so just post any questions when you can. Hopefully I'll be around to do my best to answer!!

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
First and foremost, I'm sorry you are suffering from anxiety and depression. As someone who suffers from anxiety, I can empathize.

Not sure if they have come out with a new updated system. If they have not, this is a great thread to go through. I was able to follow the directions they gave and utilize this thread to fill in the gaps. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149239

This should get you started, until we can confirm if they have updated the system since the time of this build. Even if they did, it can not be massively different.

Can you tell us what the model name/number/etc. is?
its a BMS16v2. Thing is I could have sworn I read somewhere on here that I didn't need the gigavac shunt. Any ideas on that?

I found the wiring diagram that Pingeye posted in that thread but it looks considerably different than the wiring from the "7module nissan leaf pack with bluetooth w/ sergio LV-HV relay mods" diagram that I have. Which is how my relays are wired. I think the diagrams honestly make it harder for me. The pictures seem to be more helpful even though I cant see everything.

What is the CANbus cable going to the charger doing?

Any ideas if I was supposed to receive a CANbus cable(s) with my Zeva?
Old 07-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I dunno if this will help, but here's a pic of my HV and LV relays setup, with information included on the pic.

Also, If by "Canbus cable" you mean the cable that runs from the ZEVA unit to the ZEVA monitor, that "cable" is called Belden Wire. I purchased a 20' length of it from eBay for like $10.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I were you here's what I would do. Treat it like a new installation. From what you describe it looks like a big rats nest of wires. The first thing to do is get rid of the Sergio mod. It makes it too complicated and you don't need it. Use the tried and true hookup method used in the diagram I've attached. Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LithiumBatteryPack2.jpg (166.6 KB, 0 views)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #8
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I dunno if this will help, but here's a pic of my HV and LV relays setup, with information included on the pic.

Also, If by "Canbus cable" you mean the cable that runs from the ZEVA unit to the ZEVA monitor, that "cable" is called Belden Wire. I purchased a 20' length of it from eBay for like $10.

Dave, any comment on the shunt? Do I need to get that ordered or is something else being used? As I mentioned, I thought I read it wasn't needed but now it seems otherwise.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

From my ZEVA invoice, my 500amp shunt was included in the cost when I purchased the ZEVA.

I can't recall if that install was a "must do" or not, but for another $22 I purchased some quality mounts from Amazon and the hook up was easy.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #10
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Ok finally got the gigavac and canbus cable. Ripped everything not needed out. Rewired as needed. Cart moves as it should and I have green on the zeva. Feeling good.

Two problems..

First is minor, I hope. I have lights and a horn but very under powered while connected to my 12v source. Connecting to the main power blows the 15a fuse. What should I connect this to?

Second I don't know if I have the right charger to run canbus charger as the diagram shows. Can I make this work or do I need to order something else? Here's what I have...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tCwjdcd16rFxzbT48

And also, do I have to use the canbus current sensor shown in the diagram? Or is that just for extras?

Thanks for the help guys. Not done but I'm feeling positive about this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car