lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
lvaubel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default marathon 48v conversion

hey all, Im new to the colf cart scene but im real jazzed about my new toy.
i just got two older marathon carts (a 89 and a 82) given to me . both need a lot of work and dont have any batteries. I was hoping to do a 48 v conversion on them (at least one of them) but im not sure how difficult it is. Ive been doing a little snooping and cant seem to get a accurate description of the procedure.
I joined this forum in hopes that someone could help me out.
lvaubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
lvaubel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: marathon 48v conversion

am i correct? ..... since both of them do seem to be resistor carts all i need to do is change the solinoid out to a 48v. (and of corse there are the aditional batteries)
somebody throw me a bone!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay....here's the deal
Yes, you can put a 48v solenoid in the cart and 2 more 6v batteries and away she goes like never before

BUT..... they are resistor carts and acceleration is controlled by a speed wiper . Both the resistors and the speed wiper assembly will melt from exposure to the higher voltages over time ...... How you drive it may shorten or prolong the duration but, sooner or later something is gonna melt
I know, I've melted them And on the other hand I have offroaded one for a year without doing so.... All you have to do is drive WOT everywhere you go

The correct way to do the conversion is to change to solid state speed control at a cost of about $1500 per cart ..... hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Okay....here's the deal
Yes, you can put a 48v solenoid in the cart and 2 more 6v batteries and away she goes like never before

BUT..... they are resistor carts and acceleration is controlled by a speed wiper . Both the resistors and the speed wiper assembly will melt from exposure to the higher voltages over time ...... How you drive it may shorten or prolong the duration but, sooner or later something is gonna melt
I know, I've melted them And on the other hand I have offroaded one for a year without doing so.... All you have to do is drive WOT everywhere you go

The correct way to do the conversion is to change to solid state speed control at a cost of about $1500 per cart ..... hope this helps.
Yeah; What Scotty said. My 89 Marathon 48V resistor conversion blew sparks out from under it and caught on fire. You need 48volts of batterries(I run 6-8V because I didn't like doing wheelies caused by the extra 140 pounds of batteries behind the rear axle), A pot box, A 48V soleniod, A controller rated at 48V, New 4 gauge cables (or better), An upgraded F/R selector and I recommend a motor that is rated at 48V. Like Scotty said; about $1500. in parts plus the labor involved. Once you do it though; You'll never want another 36V cart. Heck if you are like me you'll probably start thinking about the 72V upgrade the day after you finish the 48V upgrade.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
lvaubel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks guys.... that helps alot !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO