lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
vanillagorilla
Not Yet Wild

Default wiring a fan

looking to wire a 12volt fan to my pds cart the keep air curculating on the controller to keep it cool during the hotter months. i have the circuit breaker for 12volt accessories but was wanting to run it off of the key switch. any ideas???
vanillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wiring a fan

Factory installed accessory wiring has a fuse block for 12V, so I'm not sure where the circuit breaker you speak of might be located.
However, if it has 12V on it, wire the fan to it, unless you plan on using monstrous fan, they don't draw much current.
Of course, you'll have to put a switch of some kind in the wire, or the fan will run all the time.

Are you mounting the fan on the controller cover some way?
The stock PDS controller isn't waterproof.

Oops, misread you second sentence.
If it is just the ON/OFF type, it only has 36V on it.
If your keyswitch turns on the lights, it also has switched 12V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

We do this on occasion for customers who drive their carts slow alot or in deep sand. Because the fan is so quite it is easy to forget and leave it on and kill your batteries. For this reason, we use a brake light switch, mounted on the accelerator, to activate the fan. The only time it runs is when your foot is on the go pedal.
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have fans connected to the 48V to 12V DC-DC converter (reducer). The control wire that turns the converter on is the same control wire that activates the main solenoid. With the converter running, and one fan running, they draw under 200mA combined.

If the key is on in any position (F, N, R), the fans will stay running until the key is turned off. One fan keeps the converter cool, the other the controller. Having it wired this way allows the cart to be parked, but left on, so the converter can be used to power 12V accessories (lawn sprayer, water pump, etc).

I'd recommend using a 12V muffin fan, the type commonly found in a computer power supply. They are very low current, move a lot of air for their size, are very quiet, and since they use a brushless motor, create no static if you have an onboard stereo system.
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
vanillagorilla
Not Yet Wild

i know the easiest is to wire it with a switch to the converter. i may wire a light with it and mount on the dash beside the switch to use as a reminder. wiring it somehow with the key switch would be failsafe way of not leaving it on. with cooler weather gettinghere it may not be much of a problem. hoping to replace it the 1st of the year with a 400 or 500 amp alltrax

as for the stock controller being waterproof hopefully im not in water that deep. im sitting 21" to the bottom of the floorboard.
vanillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO