lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
tmuenster
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Default Taylor Dunn 48 volt Conversion

I have been reading a lot of great posts on this site but have not found anything about converting a Taylor Dunn Cart to 48v. I know the controller, solenoids and wiring would have to be upgraded to 48v. Could the existing motor handle the 48v?

Thanks,
Tom
tmuenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
tmuenster
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Default Re: Taylor Dunn 48 volt Conversion

I took my T/D C4-33 Mule to the local dealer to be checked out. It appears the batteries in the 24v system are toast. They are recommending replacing the batteries at a cost of $740 (4 x $185 per battery). The tech did say the charger was working and everything else seems to be in order.

I would appreicate some advice on my cart. Should I just replace the batteries? If so, can I get less expensive batteries for the 24v system?

Should I go for it and do a 48v or 36v upgrade? I am willing to spend a few bucks on this project because I think it would be fun. However, I am not an expert and would likely ask a lot of questions on this board for help. I would love to have a little Taylor Dunn cart that would be a real hot rod and almost dangerous to drive.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I share your enthusiasm for modified golf carts....And, I mean absolutely no offense.......but, sell the TD and buy one of the major 3 brands.... Others may have different opinions. Some say don't discourage anyone from modifying their cart ...but, not much if anything aftermarket is made for TD.

Get an Ezgo or Yamaha or Club Car and the sky is the limit
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
tmuenster
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I mean absolutely no offense.......but, sell the TD and buy one of the major 3 brands....

Get an Ezgo or Yamaha or Club Car and the sky is the limit

Thanks for your honesty and I take no offense. I have been reading a lot of your posts and value your opinion. I may just put some new batteries in the TD and use for its designed purpose. I can still tinker around with it a bit to see if I want to undertake a larger project with a full sized cart.

Anyone know a good discount site for batteries?

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

all i know is $185 seems a bit high for 4 6v batteries
-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
tmuenster
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
all i know is $185 seems a bit high for 4 6v batteries
-Aaron

Yeah, I think the dealer was wayyyy off base. That was $185 each, or $740 total. I think they were Trojan 105s but still a lot.

I found Energizer, 220 AHr, 6v at Sam's Club for $71.28. I think that may be a good start for this little 24v cart. I think I will get everything up and running before making any big decisions about mods. I like ScottyB's advice about going with a popular golf cart since there are a lot more after market parts. However, I think it would be fun to have a little Taylor Dunn mule that could hit 20mph or more! Space is also an issue. They TD mule is tiny and fits in a corner of my garage. It will also turn around in 140" which makes it great for tight places. The golf cart is more of a commitment in money and space.

Thanks again for the great advice,
Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuenster View Post
Yeah, I think the dealer was wayyyy off base. That was $185 each, or $740 total. I think they were Trojan 105s but still a lot.

I found Energizer, 220 AHr, 6v at Sam's Club for $71.28. I think that may be a good start for this little 24v cart. I think I will get everything up and running before making any big decisions about mods. I like ScottyB's advice about going with a popular golf cart since there are a lot more after market parts. However, I think it would be fun to have a little Taylor Dunn mule that could hit 20mph or more! Space is also an issue. They TD mule is tiny and fits in a corner of my garage. It will also turn around in 140" which makes it great for tight places. The golf cart is more of a commitment in money and space.

Thanks again for the great advice,
Tom

Run, do not walk, away from that vendor. Are you kidding? $185 each?

WOW!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

as a bonus if you get 4 6v now, you could always add 4 more later to hit 48v. if space permits in the mule.

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
tmuenster
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

I got my T/D running over the weekend. I bought the batteries at Sam's Club, cleaned up the battery compartment a bit and installed the batteries. Everything seems to work just fine. 24v seems to be enough power right now. This is a three wheeled cart and more power could be too dangerous.

I am now going to work on the headlight and brakelight. Here is a link to some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34497283@N04/show/

Last edited by tmuenster; 01-18-2009 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: add pics
Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Thanks 4 the pics tm,i have a 1980 TD for my next project.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts