lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
jwhite9156
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent problems

Ok, I have read many posts that have helped me tremendously on working on my own cart but I have ran into a few problems that I can't figure out.

I have an 05 electric 48v precedent. I fully charged the batteries a week ago that took 7.5 hours and charger worked fine. Pulled it out of the garage today and went in reverse like normal but I went to put it in forward and no movement. That's problem number one.

I had the cart in the tow position while working on it during the winter and used a wire brush to clean up the rust and corrosion in the rear of the cart. The wire brush accidentally came into contact with two posts on the motor and sparked. That leads me to believe that it is the root cause of the cart not going forward. I switched the wires on the fnr switch to test to see if the switch was bad and all that happened was forward became reverse and reverse became forward with no forward movement. So I think that it's either the mcor or the controller.

Now I plugged golf cart up to charger and no charge. That's problem two. The charger clicks like its going to come on and start charging but the meter on the charger stays at zero.

Please help me out guys, I'm ready to set it on fire and collect the insurance money to buy new cart!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jwhite9156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent problems

Don't burn the house down yet. welcome to BGW.

I'm thinking you let the magic smoke out of the controller for one thing. Some of the others on here will chime in also. There are fuses you may have blown and everything may be OK. Make sure the charger is getting AC power. What you said is what happens when there is no AC to the charger.

Also unhook the main negative battery cable before working on cart that maybe might get close to the electric. I unhook positive cable also.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
jwhite9156
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Don't burn the house down yet. welcome to BGW.

I'm thinking you let the magic smoke out of the controller for one thing. Some of the others on here will chime in also. There are fuses you may have blown and everything may be OK. Make sure the charger is getting AC power. What you said is what happens when there is no AC to the charger.

Also unhook the main negative battery cable before working on cart that maybe might get close to the electric. I unhook positive cable also.
Thanks for the reply and I'll definitely make sure to unhook both positive and negative next time. I checked the main fuse on the cart and all looks good. Just looking for a plan to narrow down the possible suspected cause. I agree that my controller forward portion is toast but I hope that it would not affect the charging of the cart. I did unhook the positive and negative cables from the pack to reset the obc before I started charging the cart

Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Check to make sure you reconnected the 10 ga red wire to the positive post.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
jwhite9156
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Check to make sure you reconnected the 10 ga red wire to the positive post.
Yes I did

Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
jwhite9156
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite9156 View Post
Yes I did

Okay update, charger works and fully charged the golf cart but still no forward motion.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
tdcb128
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

From my limited experience, I will guess the wire brush arcing between the field and armature of the motor fried the controller. It has happen to me. Not with a wire brush but with a wrench.
tdcb128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:44 AM   #8
biphase
Gone Wild

Yes, controller is damaged
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
jwhite9156
Not Yet Wild

Here is an update on my situation. I replaced the old Curtis controller with a re-manufactured stock 250 amp FSIP controller. Cart moves in forward and reverse now!

After about a week at the campground, my cart studders at low speeds and now every 100 feet or so of slowly cruising the cart will cut out. To get the cart moving again, I have to let off of the Go pedal and then push down on it to continue moving. It is really becoming a pain in the butt.

Could this be controller related or is my mcor going out. I am going out this weekend to troubleshoot the various components and narrow down the culprit with some resistance testing with my multimeter. I will post the numbers and maybe someone can help me interpret what they mean.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

with the key in the off position, work the go pedal up and down 40 to 50 times real fast. If the MCOR wiper arm is corroded or dirty, this will temporarily clean it off. If the problem is gone, then the MCOR was the problem.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car