lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
pharmsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery Charging Troubleshooting

With the help of the forum members I replaced the solenoid last week on my 1996- 48 volt ClubCar DS . The car runs well However after putting a couple of miles on the car and attaching my charger, the charge will taper to about 2 amps after 24 hours and Not shut off?? Voltage across the pack is about 49 volts. I did check the charger relay and there IS a delay of about 10 seconds and then the relay clicks in! I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
pharmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
pharmsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery Charging Troubleshooting

I could sure some advice with this problem thanks Bob T
Old 08-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

How old are your batteries? How does your cart run after charging?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Kinda think your batteries are toast.
As above, how old are they?
What's the water level in them?
Are all of the terminals and cable ends 100% clean and connections tight?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Measure the voltage of each battery and the whole pack. Do this after it has been off the charger for about 12 hours. Check and record the battery voltages when the cart is accelerating (i.e. the batteries are under load). Post the results here for the individual batteries and the pack. We expect that your batteries will show poor results indicating that they need to be replaced.

Have you tried a different charger? If you know someone with the same type of charger which you know works well, try charging your pack with it.

As I said in the sticky on battery charger troubleshooting, check and clean each battery terminal and connectors, particularly those to the main pack positive. Clean them with a wire brush to get rid of any corrosion or black residue and get clean metal on the connectors.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmsc View Post
With the help of the forum members I replaced the solenoid last week on my 1996- 48 volt ClubCar DS . The car runs well However after putting a couple of miles on the car and attaching my charger, the charge will taper to about 2 amps after 24 hours and Not shut off?? Voltage across the pack is about 49 volts. I did check the charger relay and there IS a delay of about 10 seconds and then the relay clicks in! I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
That is usually a classic sign of a failed OBC. The OBC controls the charger (including the algorithm) and it will time out after 16 hours. If your charger continued to operate "after" 16 hours, then you OBC has partially failed. When this occurs, the amperage will go to ~2A or so and never cut off....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
pharmsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The batteries are 16 months old They show an individual voltage of 8.6 volts each and 52.5 volts across the pack of 6. The cart runs strong and I drove it about 6 miles the other day with no loss of speed. After charging for 24 hours the charger still was charging at 3 amps and the batteries were gassing like crazy!!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
pharmsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the batteries are 16 months old. the cart runs long and strong. I recently replaced the solenoid and that's when my charging issue started. 52.5 volts across the pack and 8.75 volts individually. The charger just doesn't see it?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
pharmsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the batteries are 16 Months old 8.75 volts at full charge and 52.5 volts across the pack the charger charges at over 54 volts but the OBC does not recognize the charge. Can I reboot the OBC?? This problem occurred after a solenoid replacement and repowering the OBC
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
pharmsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

can I reboot the OBC?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car