lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Tom444
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery arks when putting on cable

I have a 2014 reconditioned Club Car Precedent which has a run/tow switch which I placed in the tow position before removing the negative battery terminal cable. it is my understanding that the tow switch cuts the circuit and, appears to do so as the gauges go dead and the car will not run. However, when I attempt to replace the cable(s) it arks and sparks. Can anyone confirm if this is an indication of a short in the system?
Tom444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery arks when putting on cable

If it’s just a little spark it’s normal. If it’s a huge white light and starts to burn and weld (yes it’s happened to me) then you have a bad short. Is it just a quick spark while putting on the last cable? That’s normal.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You have capacitors in your controller and other areas that are trying to power up.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Most likely has a voltage reducer. They will cause an ark. Hold a regular light bulb on the battery post then touch the cable to the threads of the bulb for a few seconds that will allow the capacitors to charge. If it were the controller I think the tow switch take it off line so it should not cause an ark.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Tom444
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks all for the feedback. First, yes in my opinion, it is hot enough to melt the lead terminal. I am not using the lead terminal though. I am putting it on the terminal bolt. Maybe a little more history: Prior to this cart which I purchased in July 2017 I had a used 2002 Precedent with a run/tow switch and had occasion to change batteries and never experienced any sparking at all.
I just thought perhaps the later model may have other things that may cause the condition. Also, the reason I was removing the cable is to check the batteries charge because they seem to be running low after one round of golf. (batteries a only one year old). After 3.5 or 4 hours of use it starts to cut out when going up an incline. (the motor just stops). If I ease up on the pedal and push just a little, it will slowly creep up the hill. The batteries do check out OK.
So, again, maybe a short? Also, once I crest the hill and back on level ground it goes back to full power
Old 08-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Disconnecting the battery cables for more than 10 minutes will reset the OBC, if You cart has one, and allow the OBC to run another baseline profile on your batteries.

In this case the next couple of charging cycles will take longer as the OBC uses a dV/dT algorithm instead of energy counting to charge the batteries.

As mentioned, the spark is usually caused by a voltage reducer as the controller capacitors charge are current limited by the pre-charge resistor.

If You stand an incandescent light bulb (60w or less) on the battery stud and touch the cable lug to the bulb threads for about 10 seconds, You should be able to then place the cable on the battery post without any sparks.

If You still get sparks, then there is a parasitic drain that needs to be located.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Tom444
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio,
I just ran your light bulb procedure and still got sparks. Looks like a short.
Thanks for the advise.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car